Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis b spluttering

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mac T20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Iam a proud owner of an Allis b which I restored 4 years ago and is used for show purposes only. I recently went to it after it sitting for a few months and it?s now spluttering when throttle is opened up not too bad when idling. Just wondering before I start fiddling with mag timing and carb settings could it be it needs a good long run? In the 4 years since restoration it?s luckily if it?s done 2 hours running. Any advice much appreciated. This was just my first thought as I know these little Allis bs like to be hot.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the carb icing up?? If it is let it run longer so it heats things up and then try it. Or it could be as simple as a little bit of junk in the carb or a fuel flow problem. But any how trouble check then mess with things NEVER the other way around. so
#1 check that you have a good blue white spark at all the plugs that jump a 1/4 inch gap or more.
#2 pull the carb drain plug and make sure you have a good steady flow of gas that will fill a pint jar in less then3 minutes. Also since ti has a fixed main jet pull the cover nut off th main jet and make sure you get a good steady flow of gas there.
#3 when was the last time you dumped the water and mud out of the air cleaner and fill with fresh oil

Big Mac T20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment. Plugs have been checked and good. Plenty of flow through the carb and oil in air filter is good. Tank is clean and when emptying carb fuel flows nicely. My problem with only showing this tractor is it goes on the trailer for the show, comes off at the show, parades round a ring for 20 min then on the trailer for home then it?s back in the shed till the next show so it?s not done allot of hours since restoration or even got hot so I just wonder does it need a good run till hot to clear the system a bit.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the worst things one can do to an engine is run it for a short time then shut it down and do that to it all the time. They need to be run till good and hot and made to work or they will not run as they should

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '39 B wasn't running as smoothly as it did in the summer, so I adjusted the carb a wee bit and drove it around for an hour today. Much better.....me and the Allis!

4wdtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might try fresh gas and or some seafoam.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

unless you keep the gas tank ful you'll get condensation in the gas

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Big Mac T20 wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:07:18 12/15/19) Hi everyone, Iam a proud owner of an Allis b which I restored 4 years ago and is used for show purposes only. I recently went to it after it sitting for a few months and it?s now spluttering when throttle is opened up not too bad when idling. Just wondering before I start fiddling with mag timing and carb settings could it be it needs a good long run? In the 4 years since restoration it?s luckily if it?s done 2 hours running. Any advice much appreciated. This was just my first thought as I know these little Allis bs like to be hot.

If it was running well before, leave the mag timing alone, it didn't just magically change by itself while the tractor was "resting".

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not change anything as far as adjusting if it ran well before. Check the sediment bowl for water. Drain a pint of gas from the bottom of the carburetor to get fresh gas in it. Like Bob said, they don't adjust themselves.

Big Mac T20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. The starting things are all there spark fuel and timing is all good. It certainly makes me think it needs a good run! Il get onto it. A good job to do in the Xmas holidays.

BRSnKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As was reminded by earlier post,Dell said to keep your itchy twitchy fingers off the twisties until you've run it abit

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could not a good run or it could be a fuel problem. My Oliver S88 would fire up and run fine but then fall on it's face and I had a fuel problem due to a bit of junk in the sediment bowl assemble inside the gas tank blocking off gas flow

Big Mac T20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok folks I?m loosing the will to live. Xmas holidays have arrived and decided today was the day to give her a good run...well that?s what I thought it didn?t end up that way. So I decided to fit brand new plugs then checked the gas flow to the carb all good in this area. Started her up and was lucky to get her running for 30sec then she would just stop. Would stutter something terrible. I removed all the plugs to check the gap. A couple were wrong but did notice that 3 and 4 were black 1 and 2 were clean like they hadn?t been burning. Next step was a gave the points a rub then put a spark plug tester on each plug and they were all working fine. I?m running out of options now and it?s so frustrating as everything worked so well till this year. Next time I?m at it il try and get a video of it running but any other ideas would be helpful.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have an adjustable main jet at the bottom front of the carburetor? Or does it just have a plug in the front?
Here is what I found one of my carburetors after setting over the winter one spring in front of the main jet.
My guess now is you have fuel restriction from dirt of some type.

Big Mac T20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Allis b spluttering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has this carb on it. So your saying if I remove the bolt at the bottom it may have dirt in it?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters