Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Plugs for electronic ignition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshultz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What spark plugs are recommended for a 8N with 12 V conversion to electronic ignition? Thanks!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same plugs you use with points.

If you bought their coil, the instructions will tell you to widen the plug gap.
75 Tips

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NGK 3112/B4Ls is a nice upgrade OEM gap works for me....

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The FORD TRACTOR OEM 4-cylinder engines are spec'd at 14mm spark plugs, gapped at .025"-.028". The standard supplier were they Champion H10 and then the Champion H12 was released , a hotter plug. Around the same time the AUTO-LITE 437 plug was introduced as well, also a hotter plug than the H10. I've used all of these on my N's and never have had any problems with any of them. I use the Champion H12 or the AUTO-LITE 437's depending on what the auto parts store has stocked at the time. It doesn't matter if you have the OEM 6V/POS GRN system or a 12V/NEG GRN switch out job, or even EI -the plugs are the same. I guess some use other equivalents like the NTK but that is your call and your $$$ and wouldn't call it as an 'upgrade' myself. How do you gage performance? I was going to try the NTK's once but nobody stocked them locally but all said they could order them. I was doug a tune-up now and chose to stick with tried and true and in stock. Nowadays the Champion H12 is also listed as their 512 part number and the AUTO-LITE 437 is the same as the 216 part number.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)
*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as 'trivalent plating'. This is a silver-or-chrome coloured finish on the threads that is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture, chemicals and weathering. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal.

Big plus they are made in the good old US of A... Up-grade are not over your china plugs your call...

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
Big plus they are made in the good old US of A...

NGK spark plugs are made in Japan, not the USA!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:08:13 12/24/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

NGK has plug manufacturing plants in both countries. Chrysler for one is a BIG domestic customer. Doubt US domestic orders are fulfilled by products made in Japan plants and shipped here.

TOH

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:08:13 12/24/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9J3eQk-kE&fbclid=IwAR1iFj5UOSRRP5lBQlpXuUgOx_v44lXuFcpvttB4v9lJc5Vyg0iYr97jAxM

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9J3eQk-kE&fbclid=IwAR1iFj5UOSRRP5lBQlpXuUgOx_v44lXuFcpvttB4v9lJc5Vyg0iYr97jAxM

What's your point? Rolling Eyes

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:57:19 12/26/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

What's your point? Rolling Eyes

Laughing i knew i recognized u from somewhere, louis - the artist formerly known as 36Coupe Rolling Eyes

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HFJ wrote:
Laughing i knew i recognized u from somewhere, louis - the artist formerly known as 36Coupe Rolling Eyes

Huh? Rolling Eyes

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:08:13 12/24/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

Like most large companies, NGK makes their products in many countries. Manufacturing locations include the USA. I suspect the only way to tell where a spark plug was made is by the label on the box (if it has one).

NGK wrote:
(quoted from linkedin)
Starting with a single product in 1936, NGK's extraordinary growth can be attributed to a philosophy of manufacturing the product where it is going to be used. In fact, a substantial number of NGK Spark Plugs and oxygen sensors sold in the United States are made right here in America. One of the benefits of this approach is the ability to work closely with manufacturers in developing products tailored specifically to their needs. The most tangible manifestations of the success of this philosophy have been the construction of fourteen factories in eight nations throughout the world, as well as NGK Spark Plugs being specified as original equipment by the majority of the world's auto manufacturers.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim WI wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:52:34 12/27/19)
Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:08:13 12/24/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

Like most large companies, NGK makes their products in many countries. Manufacturing locations include the USA. I suspect the (if it has one).

NGK wrote:
(quoted from linkedin)
Starting with a single product in 1936, NGK's extraordinary growth can be attributed to a philosophy of manufacturing the product where it is going to be used. In fact, a substantial number of NGK Spark Plugs and oxygen sensors sold in the United States are made right here in America. One of the benefits of this approach is the ability to work closely with manufacturers in developing products tailored specifically to their needs. The most tangible manifestations of the success of this philosophy have been the construction of fourteen factories in eight nations throughout the world, as well as NGK Spark Plugs being specified as original equipment by the majority of the world's auto manufacturers.

"only way to tell where a spark plug was made is by the label on the box"

LOL! I just bought a "Murray" thermostat, box says "Made in Israel", thermostat is embossed "Germany".

Quite ironic!

8NChris
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:59:00 12/26/19)
Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:08:13 12/24/19)
Hobo,NC wrote:

I had been turning wrenches for a while myself and may have missed something like that. Thanks for posting.

doublebass73
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugs for electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last time I bought O2 sensors for my Jeep I bought NGK and they were made in USA.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters