Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

This site's confusing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleCarl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm trying to personal message (PM) someone. I find the member's name and go to their profile. Then I click the PM button and get this message:

"Private messaging is disabled, please use email via Safemail if the user has enabled receiving emails. If not, post a forum reply."

Sooooo.....I guess my question is two-fold. What good is a site like this if you can't PM someone? And what do I have to do besides posting a post to try and get ahold of this guy?

Weird.

Enlighten me oh Obi-Wan

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look on a post they've made and see it if it says Send Email beside their profile in Classic or has a listing for email in modern.
If so click on the email and send them a message.
If their email is not open you'll have notify them in a post that you want to contact them.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as I know the PM thing has not worked since before I joined 20 or so years ago. In my case I always post my e-mail but many do not. If your looking for some one make a post say Hey ???? and then make sure your e-mail is open ad ask them to send you an e-mail simple as that. It is not a good idea to post your e-mail info in the open or your phone number

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As they said, Safemail accomplishes exactly the same thing only is more private because the communication is between you and the other person via your email rather than via our server. On sites that do allow private communication (and chat types of apps), the entire contents of your "private" communication is recorded and stored permanently and in the last few years, may even be scanned and sold for marketing products to you. Here, once you send the initial contact message with the "Send Email" link (which should be very simple like "Rich, please contact me" because all you do with sendmail is get your email address to the other party), from then on, you are in communication with the other person via your private email which, depending on how you select your mail provider, is private.

Private communication is not the purpose of the site. It's a possibility if someone wants it. The purpose of the site is to ask questions about tractors or discuss topics related to tractors. If people ask and discuss privately, the value of the site is completely lost. The benefit of the site is when someone types "How do I repair my 3rd brush generator" or similar, into their search engine, they end up here because of the discussion in the past and can find the advice they need. That is what the site is for and in the case of technical tractor information, private communication is thus a total loss.

I get private questions from people every day about their tractors, and the reason is often because they will be embarrassed to ask the question in public, so they don't use the forums, but send to my support email. This is a problem beyond what I mention above. My responses, as best as I try, can't possibly be as knowledgeable as the collective knowledge of this community. So my private responses are of less value to them than asking the question on the forums. They are in luck if they ask about a tractor I've worked on or rebuilt, but in other cases, they'd be time ahead to ask the community.

The confusion you mention has history. Many of the original community members prefer the old classic view of the forums. It does not have PMs. I made it so both the classic view, and the modern view (which would allow PMs) can work together to post, reply and view. Because of this linkage, certain features had to be disabled. If you were able to PM people, you'd find very few people responding because they would not know you PMed them since they use classic view. Safemail works on both sides if the person you want to contact wants to allow contacts.

UncleCarl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I fully understand the angle of
posting questions in the forums, I've got
no issue with that. It just seems the
would be a sure fire way to contact
someone outside the forums. No worries.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: This site's confusing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a different issue and comes down to if a user wants to be contacted outside the forums. By default, a new user can't be contacted until they "open their email" (as people like to call setting the right options so they can be reached by safemail). We respect that by defaulting to not being able to be contacted. Then they have to take an action to be reachable. It puts the control of their information in their hands.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters