Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 1720 Glow Plugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Apparently none of my 3 Glow Plugs are working as i checked the head temp with a thermal temperature gun and no increase with one minute on the heat position. Checked the bus bar that delivers power to the 3 glow plugs and it had 12 volt. investigating after market glow plugs and want to get the same wattage as original which i am having trouble researching ??

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The quickest test is to check the current draw of each plug if you have a suitable Ammeter. Likely will either be ZERO or 10-20 Amps.

(I wouldn't expect to see much (if any) heating up of the mass of the cylinder head from the G.P.'s, even if functioning correctly.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled them out of my 1720 1 at a time and put 12 volts to each one, if they dont get hot thats the bad one, mine also had a red wire I think it was that started smoking to indicate a glow plug was bad.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 1310 does heat up the head around the bottom of the glow plugs--will go from 40* to around 110* F

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about the wattage but the proper way to test them is with an ohm meter, 0.8 ohms max. They are the fast acting type and should be marked Y-701 R or 701 M.

Mark

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Mark--yes my manual says they are the fast acting ones and don't heat them for over 10 seconds--so that why i am looking for the wattage for the replacements---i will google those numbers you gave me
Dan

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1720 Glow Plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so i installed the new glow plugs and they heat up good----was very surprised that they only engage the head with about 4 threads

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters