Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gleaner hp in tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kpm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anybody dynoed a wc/wd/wd45 with a stock greaner in it

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you use the D17 or 170 carb and intake it should make roughly what a D17 or 170 makes.
AaronSEIA

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Gleaner "E" engine ( or D-17 engine) with the "M" code compression ratio will make 63.2 flywheel HP @ 1650 loaded RPM's. At 1400 RPM's it makes 55.6 HP whereas a WD45 engine makes 50.6 @1400 RPM's loaded at the flywheel, or 43 HP at the PTO. I don't know what you are questioning, but the D-17/"E" Gleaner engine makes more HP than any WC-WD or any stock WD45, but the RPM's you test it at makes a difference. Some later model E and E-3 combine engines have a "Z" compression ratio code in the engine serial number and they are 67 HP instead of 63.2 HP at the flywheel.

Kpm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was questioning the hp at pto for stock gleaner. I knew the flywheel hp . Wondering how much is lost going through the pto. I believe D17 has 52 pto hp.and it?s basically same as M code gleaner. my reason for asking is I have a wd45 with gleaner m code ,rebuilt head with bigger valves ,reground cam and four and one eights flat tops.and stock rods. Dynoed 50hp.at a pull,then 52at an Agco dealership and finally 54 hp.at an Independent repair shop who?s owner pulls some strong tractors. I definitely expected more. it runs good , but 15.5/38 was to much tire, but did win points champion ship in 3750,4000, 4250 and 2nd in 4500 and4750 3.5 mph with 16/28 tires . Put the 15.5 tires on my wc with some build except wc block and it does well with them it?s never been on dyno .

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a D17 at the flywheel makes 63 flywheel and 54.4 on the belt, it drops about 8.6 horse in the gearing.

A WD45 with 50.6 flywheel does 43.3 belt or 7.3 horse lost in gearing. Thats belt. PTO may well drop another 1-2 horse or better. Not sure when Nebraska started using the PTO vs belt.

A 170 tested at Nebraska did 54 PTO which was a Z code at 67 horse flywheel. That'd be a loss of 13 horse
One thing to keep in mind, the Wd45 is geared for 1400 rpm at 540. If you pull a 1650 rpm rated engine down to 1400, you are probably under max horse anyway. Did you get those numbers at 540 rated rpm, or at rated engine rpm of 1650 which I think would be about 630 rpm.
AaronSEIA

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds to me like your 4 1/8" pistons have 120 psi of compression (or less) instead of 140-145 like an M-code engine should have. Also sounds to me like the change in the camshaft was a bad idea for stock RPM's. And where is the ignition timing set at ???????????????????? The One-Seventy flywheel to PTO HP losses come from the hydraulic pump/hydrostatic power steering.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big valves are a waste of time in an AC with stock RPM's.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HP loss on the Nebraska Tested early model D-17 was 10 HP from 63 HP flywheel down to 53 HP PTO. This tractor was equipped with power steering, which took 3 to 4 HP. They figured most customers would purchase the power steering option, so test the tractor that way. Had it been without power steering the HP loss would have been similar to the WD45, which was 7 HP.

Kpm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think they might have took hp reading at
1400 rpm.But i don't know. I guess i didnt
ask enough questions and it was two yrs.ago
so i really don't know. But on the other
hand i assume a pull that allows 2064 rpm
would check hp at that rpm. This fall
another puller told me that he sold a wd
with a stock gleaner that dyoed 65 hp.I
know that could be bs,but it shure made me
think again about my 54 hp.output witch i
always thought was to low.Thats why my
first post on this site was to inquire what
someone else's Ac dynoed

Kpm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It runs 2064 rpm.never stock rpm.compression is 150 .cam grinder knew engine build and rpm. I Was hoping to hear someone elses dyno output. to compare as mine seems low for its build. I think maybe they took hp reading at wd stock 1400 rpm.I don't want to waist time and money looking for hp if there isn't any to find.But 54 hp.seems to low.

charles Leddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a WD-45 with a gleaner-E engine in and it runs good. Not sure what all this talk about but my thought is the limitation is in the weight and drive train of 4 gears. My experence is with wheel weights and fluid loaded tires the extra power would help get some actual work done but mines been parked and the more powerful-more modern tractors get the workout???

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your best bet might be to find a dyno and do some playing around. Couple hours with a good engine guy on the dyno and you'd be surprised what you might find.
AaronSEIA

Kpm
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes , i did that and they got it from 5o to
54 I expected 60 to 65 . Not easy finding
mechanic and dyno.The one i did just happen
to have a borrowed dyno at his shop at
that time Maybe that 54hp.was taken at
lower rpm,Thats why i ask what others have
dynoed at.If i ever get it on a dyno again
i will ask more questions and take
notes.thanks for your input.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner hp in tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When dynoing a WD/WD45 to measure HP @1650 engine RPM, that is 640 RPM on the PTO under load. M&W dyno's have a calculator to measure HP at different PTO speeds than stock OEM. Trouble is, many tech's don't know how to use that way of measuring torque/HP.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters