Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bottom Plow Size Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Ford 101 plow has 3 - 12" bottoms. The previous owner ran it on a Massey Ferguson 135.

Typically I read about 14 and 16 inch bottoms and occasionally an 18 inch bottom.

Other than lightening the load on a smaller tractor, why would anyone run a 12" bottom plow? Is there an agricultural reason for it - i.e. better for planting this crop vs that?

What would a Farmall M, H or C have used - 12, 14, 16, 18 inch bottoms?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Bill

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Typically a plow bottom pulls easiest at one-half it's width DEEP, so 12" bottom runs 6 inches deep, 14" at 7 inches deep, 16 inch at 8 inches deep, 18 inch bottom 9 inches deep. They all will plow less deep, but to plow deeper than half the bottom width, draft per bottom goes up at a high rate.

Most M's pulled 3-14's, H's 2-14's, nobody around home plowed with a C, but suspect they ran with 2-12's.

I roade a couple passes at an IH Collector's Club plow day in a 5288 pulling a six bottom automatic reset #735 variable width plow, it could adjust on the go from 14 to 22 inch cut per bottom. The one pass he was plowing over a FOOT deep, hitting a layer of clay that was a totally different color. Bottoms #3,4, and #5 tripped and the driver wasn't watching, I was, He asked "What happened?", I saw it but didn't believe it, but told him three bottoms tripped and reset. Sure made me regret all the time I wasted pulling an IH #8 3-14 and having it constantly plug, if it plugged bad enough the trip hitch would uncouple to whole plow. Did not mind a bit when Dad switched to J.I.Case pull type plows, much more trash clearance, trip beams, not trip hitch.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

18" were not avaible at that time. A 12" bottom pulls easier that a 14" and easier than a 16" but you do not plow as deep with the smaller bottoms. A plow bottom is designed to work at a depth of 1/2 the width of cut. Due to volume of soil turned over a 12" will on average take about 13 pto hp, a 14 about 15-16 but a 16" will take about 20 horse power per bottom. So the smaller tractors usually went with the smaller bottom. But then that depth to plow with a 12" bottom ment that in areas with a top soil depth of 6" you were operating within design spects. without turning up the subsoil. Then there are areas that the top soil can be several feet deep so no restrictions about bringing up subsoil and mixing it in the top soil. It seems like everybody now wants to go deep and bring all that clay subsoil up and mix it in with the good top soil so it makes crusting more likely. Back in the day if you worked ground enough to plant you were OK, now people think it has to be loosened up a foot deep to plant corn unless you are into no till. So a Farmall f-12 or unstyled JD B could pull a 2-12" plow at the 6" working depth but take a 14" plow and put it at its working depth you could only cover 14" instad of 24" in a pass so went with what did get them over most ground faster asnd still got the depth for the seed bed.

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill,

Many years ago I farmed 120 acres in Southern Minnesota. It was heavy, black dirt with a lot of clay in it. I pulled 3 14's behind my Super M. It pulled it very easily, but as Leroy mentioned, the beams were very low so I had a fair bit of problem with corn stalks clogging the plow. I ended up buying a stalk shredder to cut the stalks up better. It was a pain to have to make a separate run across the fields but it solved the problem of clogs.

Have fun with your plow. I haven't pulled a moldboard plow for a long time but I really enjoyed it when I did.

Tom in TN

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ooops,

It was actually Dr. Evil that mentioned the problem of clogging a plow, not Leroy. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom in TN

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:43:56 01/20/20) 18" were not avaible at that time. A 12" bottom pulls easier that a 14" and easier than a 16" but you do not plow as deep with the smaller bottoms. A plow bottom is designed to work at a depth of 1/2 the width of cut. Due to volume of soil turned over a 12" will on average take about 13 pto hp, a 14 about 15-16 but a 16" will take about 20 horse power per bottom. So the smaller tractors usually went with the smaller bottom. But then that depth to plow with a 12" bottom ment that in areas with a top soil depth of 6" you were operating within design spects. without turning up the subsoil. Then there are areas that the top soil can be several feet deep so no restrictions about bringing up subsoil and mixing it in the top soil. It seems like everybody now wants to go deep and bring all that clay subsoil up and mix it in with the good top soil so it makes crusting more likely. Back in the day if you worked ground enough to plant you were OK, now people think it has to be loosened up a foot deep to plant corn unless you are into no till. So a Farmall f-12 or unstyled JD B could pull a 2-12" plow at the 6" working depth but take a 14" plow and put it at its working depth you could only cover 14" instad of 24" in a pass so went with what did get them over most ground faster asnd still got the depth for the seed bed.

While it was not deep mouldboard ploughing . I did V-rip my fields over three years NS, EW and diagonally. Brown clay topsoils with blue clay subsoil. Ripper has a 10" wide tip and a mole ball.down 24" and had the top link short enough that the ripper was lifting the soil instead of just cutting a slot in the soil .
I share crop with the adjacent neighbour with the same date, equipment, fertilizer and seed. The fields here consistently out yield the neighbours by 6-9%. No rain water ponding anymore on the surface of the fields.

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 12 in bottom tends to set the furrow up a little more vertical. Plow the ground and let it get one good rain and a lot of moisture seems to get collected down between those furrows or under those furrows. You'll notice the difference in moisture retention next summer when you get a dry spell. The pitfall is you can't fit more than a 13.6 tire into those narrower furrows.

Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies - I appreciate the info!

Bill

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should. You have spent at least that
much chiseling it. No-till forever! LOL.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No till works for some crops here on some locations but not close to all conditions. Have seen a lot of no-till crop faiures. Wheat and beans usually do OK but not corn, very few even try on corn any more.

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom Plow Size Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several guys around me have great luck with no-till corn. Dad has grown some great crops with it. Depends on soil type.
AaronSEIA

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters