Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Electric power steering for my 8N

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-electronic-controller-box-EPAS/142461763061?hash=item212b61fdf5:g:DRQAAOSwr7tZfvQP

Click on above. I used one of these with a Saturn VUE EPS on a street rod with manual rack and pinion steering. It works great and you can dial in the amount of assist while driving the vehicle. It's the way to go in this application. A tractor with FEL might be a different story because of heavier and more constant loads on the EPS unit. On a tractor, I would use a 50 or 60 Amp automotive or marine circuit breaker. If it trips the breaker, you're overloading the EPS. Obviously you'll need a 12V conversion with a 100 Amp alternator. A properly mounted idler pulley will be needed to provide more angle of wrap of the V belt around the alternator pulley to reduce belt slippage. The EPS is a torque amplifier. It just does it with an electric motor instead hydraulically with a pump etc. The reason for an EPS in a car is it is more energy efficient because it only uses energy on demand from the driver's input through the steering wheel. It is also cheaper to manufacture.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Phil N wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:58:58 01/16/20) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-electronic-controller-box-EPAS/142461763061?hash=item212b61fdf5:g:DRQAAOSwr7tZfvQP

Click on above. I used one of these with a Saturn VUE EPS on a street rod with manual rack and pinion steering. It works great and you can dial in the amount of assist while driving the vehicle. It's the way to go in this application. A tractor with FEL might be a different story because of heavier and more constant loads on the EPS unit. On a tractor, I would use a 50 or 60 Amp automotive or marine circuit breaker. If it trips the breaker, you're overloading the EPS. Obviously you'll need a 12V conversion with a 100 Amp alternator. A properly mounted idler pulley will be needed to provide more angle of wrap of the V belt around the alternator pulley to reduce belt slippage. The EPS is a torque amplifier. It just does it with an electric motor instead hydraulically with a pump etc. The reason for an EPS in a car is it is more energy efficient because it only uses energy on demand from the driver's input through the steering wheel. It is also cheaper to manufacture.

These Toyota retrofits are typically fused at 60A. If that blows you have pushed the motor AND wiring past its rated capacity.

Cost and energy savings were definitely the initial motivation for EPS in passenger cars but it's way more than that now. It is an essential component for steer by wire and autonomous vehicles.

TOH

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> The reason for an EPS in a car is it is more energy efficient because it only uses energy on demand from the driver's input through the steering wheel. <
No way you need a 100 amp alternator simply for the reason you stated above. Maybe if you're going to turn the wheel to lock then bungie it there but then the module would kill the power. My tractor has a 35 amp alt and when I steer the ammeter only dips for a fraction of a second and not enough to show a "recharge" rate like it does after you start the engine.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A man that could adapt EPS should add a belt tensioner like a Timing belt tensioner... I did that to a Zane Live Thang : )..

https://www.carid.com/preferred-components/engine-timing-belt-tensioner-assembly-mpn-t60059.html

I see no reason to to up the alt a standard 65 amp with a good belt set up should do it for most users... The only reason to up it is cuzz you can : )....

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JF in MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:50:14 01/16/20) > The reason for an EPS in a car is it is more energy efficient because it only uses energy on demand from the driver's input through the steering wheel. <
No way you need a 100 amp alternator simply for the reason you stated above. Maybe if you're going to turn the wheel to lock then bungie it there but then the module would kill the power. My tractor has a 35 amp alt and when I steer the ammeter only dips for a fraction of a second and not enough to show a "recharge" rate like it does after you start the engine.

I should have though to ask earlier but the gray cells are not what they used to be. What if any data is on the motor data plate? I would expect some basic RPM and current numbers.

TOH

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks jmor.
I always choose my words carefully and
purposely used debate instead argument
quarrel, fight, etc.
Debate implies a civil dialogue where
people can offer different, even
opposing views.
Next time I'll use a more appropriate
word, as some here have little to offer
but sniping and bile and civility is not
a part of their character.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't get it. The belt is plenty tight with the normal alternator/generator adjusting setup from the factory. Why would I want to add a tensioner?

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No data plate. Just a Denso label with hard to read part number and 'made in Japan'.

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did the experiment. Left front tire is 6.00x16, right is 5.50x16. Both are mounted with offset toward spindle. Both are three rib tires. Steering wheel turned lock to lock. Gets harder to turn closer you get to lock. Guessing that has to do with camber. Guessing easier to turn left due to difference in tire size.

Tires inflated to 10 PSI
SurfaceTurn RightBack to CenterTurn LeftBack to Center
concrete30-6025-2025-6025-20
gravel30-6025-2025-6025-20
grass30-6025-2025-6025-20
Tires inflated to 26 PSI
SurfaceTurn RightBack to CenterTurn LeftBack to Center
concrete15-2520-1515-3020-15
gravel25-4525-2025-4020-20
grass25-4525-2025-4025-20

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-deanostoybox wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:28:27 01/16/20) Did the experiment. Left front tire is 6.00x16, right is 5.50x16. Both are mounted with offset toward spindle. Both are three rib tires. Steering wheel turned lock to lock. Gets harder to turn closer you get to lock. Guessing that has to do with camber. Guessing easier to turn left due to difference in tire size.

Had to delete your table - quoting classic view content displays the HTML. Interesting data and a thorough well done test. Clearly no loader on that tractor. Now all we need is for you to install EPS and repeat ;-)

Thanks

TOH

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are the numbers?

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, that is in foot pounds to the nearest mark on an old Craftsman beam type 1/2" drive toque wrench.

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Clearly no loader on that tractor. "

Nope, no loader. If I need a loader I have easy access to a John Deere 310D with MFWD and extendable dipper stick:-)

"Now all we need is for you to install EPS and repeat ;-)"

Yea well, the 8N steers easily enough. I am more interested in running it on wood gas or charcoal or used motor oil or something like that. Save some $$ on gasoline. 60+ acres to mow:-) Had a Simplicity Landlord with a tiller and a front blade on it, about a 1964 model best I could tell, now that was HARD to steer and would have been a viable candidate. Got the easy steering 8N and never used the Simplicity again. Guy came by and had to have it. Took the battery out of the welder and drove it on the trailer for him.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-deanostoybox wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:33:14 01/16/20) "Clearly no loader on that tractor. "

Nope, no loader. If I need a loader I have easy access to a John Deere 310D with MFWD and extendable dipper stick:-)

"Now all we need is for you to install EPS and repeat ;-)"

Yea well, the 8N steers easily enough. I am more interested in running it on wood gas or charcoal or used motor oil or something like that. Save some $$ on gasoline. 60+ acres to mow:-) Had a Simplicity Landlord with a tiller and a front blade on it, about a 1964 model best I could tell, now that was HARD to steer and would have been a viable candidate. Got the easy steering 8N and never used the Simplicity again. Guy came by and had to have it. Took the battery out of the welder and drove it on the trailer for him.

Funny you should mention the Simplicity. I have two 2007/2006 Kubota 24 HP lawn tractors with 60" decks and one has a rear power bagger with 3 front suitcase weights. Both have EPS and steer easily but the older one with weights is noticeably easier. I dont think it has anything to do with the weights - just that much variance in the EPS controllers.

TOH

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you have to jump start it a few times and can not figure out whats the deal the amp meter show's its put'N out amps it must be a bad battery... When in fact the belt is slip'N and undercharging the battery that's why I am a voltmeter lubber it tells the truth...

Just fer the ell of it put a voltmeter on it how does the EPS affect it when under a load... This is not a debate on which is best if your alt cannot keep the voltage up that will turn into a problem over time :wink:

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters