Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use WD40 to keep locks from freezing.
What do you use to keep rubber gaskets from freezing the concrete floor

The 3 foot door on my new pole barn has gaskets on all sides. Door is so air tight my think its frozen shut.

What do you recommend to lubricant to weather stripping?

I'd there anything better to keep locks from freezing?
Thanks
George

Phil9N3667
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Silicone spray?

Steve A W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wax

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George, in the RV industry they make "rubber slide out gasket conditioner" that acts like silicone and supposedly keeps the rubber soft and pliable and not stick to the RV surface. Its in the RV aisle at Walmart and any RV dealers. Maybe that or silicone spray is your answer???

John T Live from hot n sunny Florida Flywheelers

greenmech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use powdered graphite in locks. It doesn't gum up like oily products. Ron MN

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

This product is good for both purposes. It is not a "big Store" product. Jim
Untitled URL Link

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spritzer bottle full of windshield wash fluid..spray and its taken care of.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best way to keep locks from freezing is to move farther south. I don't think anyone has that problem in south Florida.

mtf
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Petroleum jelly.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Phil, I use silicone spray on the gasket at the bottom of our garage door and on the gaskets of my car doors too.

I spray the silicone sealant it on a small cloth rag and rub over the gaskets each fall. I do go over each gasket twice to assure I didn't miss any spots. Works pretty well. All will still stick a little bit, in the event of an all-out ice storm... but the silicone keeps the rubber gaskets from adhering as tightly, so you can still get them open without too much difficulty.

My dad is the person who taught me to use the silicone spray.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody said PAM one time on here.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll use garage door lubricant with silicone.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John T wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:57:01 01/19/20) George, in the RV industry they make "rubber slide out gasket conditioner" that acts like silicone and supposedly keeps the rubber soft and pliable and not stick to the RV surface. Its in the RV aisle at Walmart and any RV dealers. Maybe that or silicone spray is your answer???

John T Live from hot n sunny Florida Flywheelers

John, It's going to be cooler for the next couple of weeks.

Dusty

SETX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve never had this problem in Texas but logic seems to tell me the wax it comment was best. Not as messy as petroleum products.

Idaho Digger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen locks and garage door freezes to concrete? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up here by the Canukistan border, I spray all my door bottoms with Pam.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters