Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

belt pulley gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bass
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gonna put a belt pulley on my M. taking one of a parts donner to put on my running M..

can I make the gasket from cork where the belt pulley housing bolts to the tork tube. I'm having problem finding the gasket, part number 1981227C1

bass

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not cork. The gasket actually shims the gear box up from the gears, providing correct clearance The manual should provide the method for setting the clearance. Using impregnated
paper gasket of about .005, .010, and .020" in combination as needed is probably best. Using a ball peen hammer to tap around the edges of the housing to form a new gasket is best
practice. Cur out a hole for the gear sticking down, then clamp the gasket gently to the casting and tap to cut it out. Jim

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had mine off last year and ordered the gasket from Messicks.

No problem.

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Messicks shows 4 in stock???

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I make gaskets similar to Jim. Only difference is I also tap out the bolt holes, and insert the bolts through the holes as I go to hold the material in place. We just used a cardboard for the gasket. Never thought about a shimming for gear clearance. Just used what looked like it was the same thickness. Never had a problem. Then we always used it in the winter to run the buzz saw cutting wood. Only time it was used so not much use nor load.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: belt pulley gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we installed the belt pulley drive on my H, we used a cereal box. Smeared a little moly grease on it to make it "impregnated."

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters