Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

old ratchet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone know the idea/purpose of female drive ratchet? This one is 1/4 inch , well made (Husky) and nice fine ratchet. looks old to me, but not sure of vintage.

Kid Shileen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got one of those at a flea market a few months ago. Not sure how old it is but it works great

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your photo isn't clear, if the hole is 4-sided it could be a refrigeration valve wrench.

tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes 4 sides. So made exclusively for refrigeration valves?

BMACK518N
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found this one yesterday. 1/2? square drive. J.H. Williams & Co. Buffalo, NY.

urbancase
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have some in our shop for different machine adj. we are a stamping shop making car parts and a lot of our mat'l feeds and straighteners that feed mat'l too our stamping presses use them to adj tension on rollers.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many old English and Australian ratchet handles were like this , Britool [ British tool co. ] was one brand that made tools for use on Ferguson and other tractors , Dufor [ Duly Hansford co. ]was another .
A small square drive shaft fitted into the hole , the socket then fitted to the end of that . They were fiddly to use and were superseded by the more common ones sometime in the late 50's or early 60's . Some didn't have a reverse lever , to undo something you removed the drive shaft, flipped the handle and put it into the other side .

Kansas4010
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Charles in Aus says you are missing the square drive the socket snaps on. You pull it out and put it in the other side of the ratchet and it reverses. I have a couple of them hanging up but don't have a picture handy so I found a picture online. The square drive knob is sitting beside the ratchet.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles is right on the missing square drive stub, which would be similar to the Hex (not square) drive in your picture.

Dale in WV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

possibly the Husky 5126?? 1930's-40's

good find!
made by new britain tools likely

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an Industro 1/2" drive one it was great for adjusting the brakes on my ford 2n I kept it in the fender mounted tool box. I gave the tractor to my stepson so he is the proud owner of tractor and wrench.

1948CaseVAI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a half inch drive one from chinese freight to adjust the deck height on my JD lawn tractor. The sockets are also open all the way through so the long bolt goes through and I can get to the nut that is 3 inches up the bolt.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad had set like Kansas 4010 posted less rachet at bottom badged Western Auto. Also had a bunch of Indestro wrenchs and sockets all gone now.

Phil9N3667
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey,Kansas!! I've got part of a set like yours with the stamped out ratchet and the Allen wrench breaker bar. Got it in late '60's/early '70's when I got my first Honda motorcycle.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: old ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's square it could be for turning the valves on a/c compressors, think they were York like found on semi tractors and Ford cars.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters