Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Air tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF294-4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got two good portable air compressors with bad tanks. they are fairly old (20-30 yrs)but old is good. Pumps and motors that is. Both are craftsman. Does anyone replace tanks? Where do you find a reasonable priced one? Just spent hours on the internet looking with no success.

Oregon Tractor Jack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a tank on an up right compressor go bad. The compressor was still good of course. I did what you did and looked for a replacement tank. No luck. I found tanks, but by the time you buy the tank and have it shipped you have the price of a new compressor. Plus you cannot be sure the mounting on the new tank would work with the compressor and motor you have. If you just needed to drill a few holes in a mount to make it work great. The real problem would be if you needed to weld a mount on to the new tank. You should never, ever weld on a pressure vessel unless you are a certified welder with a pressure vessel cert.

OTJ

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was able to get some good used steel propane fork truck tanks when my place of work switched to aluminum, they're about 10 gallons, perfect for what I wanted.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one too. You can buy receivers from a lot of sources but unless you can find a good one (emphasis on good) cheap you can get a whole new unit for less money.

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Surpluscenter.com

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a portable 8 gallon, 1.5 hp oil compressor at HF for $100 on sale.

To make a compressor truly portable. You need to find a smaller one that a generator can power. I purchased a 0.6 hp compressor with brushes for around $100. Very slow. Very quiet. Can't hear it running next to generator. I added a second tank form a air compressor that the pump went bad. I can run a air framing nailer off it. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up. But it's portable air I can carry around in back of truck.
geo

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the early '60's I bought a portable air tank. You fill the tank and then take it with you. I would think you could use it for a tank for a compressor.

Jack345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Russ From MN. That is a super tank & great job. Thanks for picture.

urbancase
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look on the net and goggle McMaster-Carr, they sell all kinds of tanks.

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be able to look up parts for your compressor and find the exact tank but it may not be cost effective.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are places such as grainger that sell replacement tanks. Grainger is high priced though.

OregonAaron
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Air tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems to me usually the motor/compressor goes bad before the tank- the reason I say this is that at our local scrap metal yard there are always lots of old compressors with great tanks in the pile. Throw away mentality society. However a guy might be able to buy one for scrap price. Lawnmowers too, tons of them... probably just need a carb clean as most are fairly new!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters