Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Shop air lines

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 60x100 ft shop that I would like to run air lines from
the compressor to 4 or 5 different spots in the shop. Just
wondering if I could run them in plastic or do they have to be
in steel pipe? Thanks Mark

johndeere720GA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are a bunch of kits on Amazon
Shop air kits on Amazon

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No PVC is specified by any manufacturer for air lines . I use copper plumbers pipe.

Oregon Tractor Jack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think there are any cast in stone requirements for air lines in private shops. Steel is always best but its a pain to do. I put my system in with PVC pipe. Its been 15 years and so far no problems. The mechanic up the hill from me did his in PVC 25 years ago with no problems. Keeping the PVC out of direct sun light is important. My shop has 12' eves so I ran the pipe right up to the eve. I also only ran the drops for the air lines down a few feet, anchored them to the wall and then ran short lengths of air hose for the connections. That keeps you from tugging directly on the PVC pipe. There are also now some flexible piping solutions similar to PEX that are available now that would work. Everyone has an opinion, so you will get quite a few on this subject.

OTJ

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not opinion FACT !

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plumbed my shop using black pipe and discovered that it produces a lot of moisture necessitating a good filter. If you do painting I am sure you know that water is your enemy, same with air tools, not good. I did some reading and the problem with pvc is that it can become brittle over time and fail under high pressure. I also found that copper does not produce the moisture that steel does. If I were to do it again, I would use copper. It is easy to work with. I would make sure that it is not the thing walled stuff they are making now.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DR - using copper pipe, did you sweat the joints?

I have a roll of 3/4" copper that I've been wanting to use for air line. I see no reason why sweated fittings would not work, but I'm curious how you did yours.

Ivan in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a kit like this from an auto supplier. Quick and easy to install and I have found very little moisture in any of the traps. It has been up for about 20 years now with no problems. The pipe looks just like Pex tubing

deeretails
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used 3/4" copper and sweat the fittings. I made sure all lines are pitched so any condensation drains back to the tank. 35 years and no problems.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend of mine used 4 inch pipe with the outlets welded in as needed. He didn't use a tank & there was no pressure loss anywhere in his shop.

jniolon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-PJH wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:53:14 01/16/20) DR - using copper pipe, did you sweat the joints?

I have a roll of 3/4" copper that I've been wanting to use for air line. I see no reason why sweated fittings would not work, but I'm curious how you did yours.

sweated copper will work fine..my shop is plumbed with 1/2 galv pipe but I added an air dryer built with copper...

here/s a good plan for plumbing

and my water trap

john

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to a shop that sells parts for semis. They will sell plastic tubing made for use with air and the fittings. It is usually pretty low price and easy to work with.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please don't use PVC.

It may work for a while, but it will eventually begin to fail, as in exploding into flying daggers of plastic!

Not hearsay, seen it actually happen!!!

Copper is very expensive but will work.

Galvanized pipe is rust resistant, but labor intensive and expensive.

Pex is proving to be suitable even though it is not approved. Cheap and easy to work with. I believe there is an approved Pex, but it's more expensive. It doesn't like heat, so keep it away from heat sources, hot air at the tank, etc.

If I were doing my shop, I would run all the main lines in 3/4 Pex, slant everything uphill from the tank. If that is not possible, add drip legs at the low spots. Then make the drops from 3/4 galvanized, coming off the top of the main line tees, secured to the wall or post at the bottom.
Air Line Plumbing

Mutt and Jeff
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dedicated shop airline plastic would be fine
www.google.com/search?q shop airline kit

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shop air lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As an alternative, GOOGLE "pex-al-pex airline".

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters