Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Anybody tried this kind of welding project?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractorcedric
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought this little Massey 22 with three point a few years ago. I decided to see if I could get it to hold water. It runs good and only needed a battery to get it running. But some time in the past someone let it freeze. I have the engine out and have it in front of my wood stove. So it is laying on its side on my work horses. I have some nickel 55 and a buss box. Give me some pointers?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you intend to completely disassemble it and pre-heat (and aftercool afterward) the casting before attempting to arc weld or braze it properly, your best bet is to clean it up a little more and pucky it up with JB Weld or equivalent.

An amateur attempt at welding it without going through all the steps to produce a correct repair is an exercise in futility, IMHO.

And a HACK!

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a time I considered myself a fairly decent welder. But I would not touch that. If you are really serious about fixing that, take it to a pro. You may only get one shot at this. If you give it a shot, and fail, a welding shop will probably refuse to even try.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a guy weld a crack just like that in a Massey Ferguson 750 combine he welded a little bit a time until the crack was fixed it lasted for all the time we had the combine eventually sold the machine and it was still going. Won?t hurt to try

47fivewindow
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's way over my head. I have seen it done in the frame, heating with a torch and welding a little at a time. Weld and chip, weld and chip. He drilled a small hole at each end of the crack.

Andy C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you can carefully find the ends of the crack, drill a 1/8 or so hole at the ends. this will relieve the stress to help keep the crack from progressing. finding the ends is imperative.

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A bit harsh?

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From your explanation it sounds as you got into it reasonable so you ambitions aren?t out of line. I watched Pa weld many a piece of cast. Some he brazed, but mostly Nickel rod. Clean, heat, weld, peen, weld, peen etc. Let it cool down slow. I?ve seen Pa weld engine block, gear box, sprockets, but the best was the rock shaft on a 670 MM in the tractor. Pa?s been gone for 25 years. He welded the tractor 40 years ago and it?s still operating with the same owner. Pa was a dairy farmer with a dirt floor shop and patience. Maybe smoking that filter less Pall-Mall between rods had something to do with it.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the real world ,if you want to screw up a cast iron repair :

arc weld it. That way you can chase cracks till the cows come home.

Best repair for that is the lock n stitch repair pins . If you have

not ground so deep that there is nothing left to thread ,you might

be able to use iron tite pins.

I do my share of cast iron repair.

showing cracks in 427 side oiler
Ford block, it froze

more cast repair

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should never argue with George md when it comes to cast iron welding. And I know the loc-n-stitch works. But since you already ground it, and it looks too deep for that I would plate over it. Looks to me like there is enough before the flange so you could get a plate formed to cover the crack and drill and tap holes all around it to bolt it on. You will have to carefully form around that bump where the frost plug is, but it can be done if your careful.

Otherwise you can weld it. I would just weld it in short 1" welds and peen it well after each. The peening will help relieve the stress and help prevent cracking. If you don't have a real chipping hammer go buy one because that will be important. When it's all welded cover it with a good blanket to help it cool slow.

el6147
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

send me an email and I'll explain to you how to weld it using you nickel rod.

tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you hadn't of ground it out already I would have used lock and stitch method. Now that you have ground I would pick Belzona as the next best, But first drill and tap a 1/16 or 1/8 NPT hole at each end of crack and locktite a pipe plug in, and grind it off flush. Google Belzona cast iron crack repair. I have used it a lot at work and as long as you have repair area prepped the way they say it is amazing how well it sticks. If you are bent on welding it then still drill a small hole at each end of crack, but not all the way thru to stop crack from propagating farther. Make sure joint is clean and well prepared ( picture looks like you have it grooved out fairly well) Run torch over joint to warm but not heat. Just after you shut torch off you need to be able to put your hand on for a second and not get burnt so I am going to say 200 degrees F or so. This also helps to burn out any crap in root of joint that your wire brush does not get out. I have also washed down with brake cleaner before but depends on if there is crap in joint. Your 55% nickel sounds like the right rod, run it as low as you can but still get a good wetting/fusion action. If you have not welded grey cast iron before you may want to practice on another old piece? I would start welding progression from the ends of crack towards the center. Weld a short bead maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch max. Have a chipping hammer that is well worn/rounded on the end and peen the weld and surrounding cast to relieve the stresses induced by the welding.( peen it a lot, all around the heat affected zone on the weld itself and an inch or so each side of weld. you wont peen it too much) Before putting another short bead down make sure cooled to a point where you can put your bare hand on weld zone without getting burnt. When you have completed joint peen it all around until you think you have done enough than do it some more. There is probably a pile of info on you tube etc. on welding engine blocks. At the end of the day you do need to be a decent welder to do this so not knowing your experience level I cant comment on whether you will be successful?

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at www.muggyweld.com
They have some videos and rods for repairing cast.

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon have you used sand to cool down? We had a vein of brown blow sand down by the rail road track. Pa had a few buckets stashed. He would set them on the stove and bed the warm cast with warm sand for cool down. A bit messy in some cases, but sand filled the profiles better than blanket.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody tried this kind of welding project? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be wrong, but looks like more cracks in blue area.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters