Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

460-560 Recall

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinks 1996
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What were all of the parts replaced during the rear end update? I never knew what all were replaced? Thanks

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as I know,it was the differential carrier bearings.The ball bearings were replaced with tapered rollers that were stronger. Enough to handle the horsepower.And as read in a book somewhere,It was a mechanic in a 'backwater' dealership who figured out the 'fix' that IH adopted.However,there people here who are smarter than I am and they will surely set me straight.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard they were trying to stay ahead of john deere by developing a bigger tractor. they got in a hurry and the 560 international was built from the W6, and easy to see that. the 6 cyl. engine was to powerful for the old driveline. I thought it was that they were in the process of the 06 series and this 60 series was a fill in. and that this mistake pretty much broke ihc as they fell behind john deere after that and never recovered. I have a farmall 560 with that triangle on the serial # plate indicating the tractor was recall completed. don't know every detail in the upgrade.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went over this several times over the years and just covered some the other day. New differential to accept tapered roller bearings. New housings that support differential and accept much larger ball bearings on the new bull pinion gears that match the new bull gears that have a 25 degree pressure angle verses 20 degree old ones.

Later an additional improved bearing package was released that included flat bower roller bearings on inside axle, new looser fit outer axle ball bearing, new lubrication tube to lube bull pinion bearings and new pinion bearing. Tapered shim on right side of differential for better even loading of differential bearings under heavy load.

That bearing package was not a recall but had a very special price on the bearings. Probably less than half price.

The 460 bearing package also had bower flat roller bearings on the bull pinions but the 560 did not. Actually the 460 had a lot more failures because people replaced their Super M's and power packed M's with a 460 in a lot of cases.

Once most of these tractors were relieved of their heavy tillage duties, when 06 series came
along, very little repairs in rear. Still a lot of them here in the country a well liked tractor.

When IH introduced these tractors they advertised the 560 as a five bottom tractor and the 460 as four bottom. They had plowing demonstrations in this area doing just that. Well, the 806 was more of a 5 bottom rig as it turns out. Sure, some 806's pulled six but all the ones we sold did five or less.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 06 series as I understand was a reaction to the newly released New Generation tractors. I've never heard the 60 series described as a fill in line. What may make the 06 look like it was already in progress was the D282 already existed in the 560 and the D361 came out of the truck division so that development was essentially in place. This allowed IH to have the 06 series out around two years after the release of the JD tractors The main task was settling on a transmission which became a 4X2 and then upgrading the TA. While the 60 series was a black eye that really had very little to do with IH's eventual demise.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So did any of he executives get fired, or reprimanded for that mistake, any body know ???

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well i disagree with that, they almost voted to stop making tractors, it was 51% ya and 49 % nay, heard that from many people! But naturally i wasn't there ! If i had a $20:00 bill for everybody i knew that traded a 560 for a 4010 or 4020 and put that money on compound interest, i would be be a rich man toda

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never mentioned board voting but in that respect ,yes, IH board and stockholders were very divided over the continuation of farm equipment from the early 1960's until the end in the 1980's. The major issue was what was perceived to be superior profit prospects in the truck division. I got this straight from a man who worked for IH at corporate in Chicago. The same man was the one who talked about the development of the 06 series.

Olddantucker
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was to understand they rushed out the 560 to go against the 730

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think that is true,they worked on the 4010, 4-5 yrs i was always told.It was kept secret, for quite a while.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Development for the 4010 started in late 1953. The secret was kept until the last few months. It became obvious when the Waterloo Works bumped up production on the 730 at a rate greater than sales which suggested a change over was coming. The New Generation intro was pushed back because JD experimented with ideas such as a V configuration engine which was a dead end. The intended release year was 1958. When it was obvious that 1958 was simply impossible the 20 series 2 cylinder was reworked into the 30 series.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why? The 720 was already in production with most of the same features as the 730 so IH was not gaining in that respect. The major reason as has been told that IH was stretched in terms of development budget so IH could not do much more than upgrade the M. Usually a manufacturer counters another builder by exceeding that builder than match it if possible. As far as the 60 series being a bridge line that would imply development most likely started by 1956 so for a decision to be made for a bridge the current project most likely would have been going for a couple of years to know the state of affairs. No way the 06 series took nearly a decade to get from the design board to off of the assembly line.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Part of the reason JD surged ahead was the New Generation had features that farmers craved such as improved operator comfort in terms of steering and brakes along with more responsive hydraulics. The chief advantage of the 806 and 856 was raw engine power and speed selection which did not matter for quite a number of farmers. To run a 2 row corn picker, 150 bushel manure spreader, or small square baler a farmer really did not need all the power of a 90 plus HP tractor as the implement would not handle being maxed out in terms of input. For many farmers it mattered to be efficient in ground covered by changing speed based on crop density in a particular section of a field. A multi-speed full power shift made this pretty easy to do versus clutching then shifting. Had the 06 series had more of the JD features it most likely would have taken more of the market.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I heard about the board voting also but then the Deere board had some rumors also about their 4 wheel drive tractors. I heard they were thinking very serious about quitting them after they got done with all those updating on the early ones. The one mechanic where I later worked at the Deere dealer, worked all year updating those. Lot of major parts went into them.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 460-560 Recall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was not quitting. Versatile was available for purchase. JD would have bought Versatile but the government would not approve the purchase because of anti-trust considerations.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters