Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cendensor and Propane questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1997 international v8 404 has no spark. It has a condensor mounted on coil. No points in distributor. Just a 8 lobe device and magnetic pick-up device. Is the condensor used with the updated device in distributor?

Also I unknowingly removed idle air fuel mixture screw out of top center of impco 300A propane device above carb. I read online you need a special guage or gas engine analyzer to set screw right. Im sure I could set it up close yet any tips?

Thank you

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't help w/ the propane, but I think that "condenser" on the coil is a radio noise suppresser. Do you know how to check a coil?

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might have ignition module problems as to the no start.
This might be a possible solution for a 1977 model.

https://loadstarparts.com/Pertronix_MV_404_392_Engines/p17699

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I found out the condensor on ground side of coil is for voltage spikes. The coil resistance tested well for primary test. Also secondary side good. I cleaned all connections. Then through more research found out how to tune propane idle mixture. If its adjusted to rich it wont start. I set screw 3 turns our and it finally started. I had a buddy keep rpms up to 2000 and adjusted mixture for sweet spot. Then I had him drop it a 100 rpm and again adjusted it to sweet spot. It would start to die if too lean and start to die if too rich. We kept doing that till it was at 500 rpm. So... so far so good. I am not very familiar with propane.

Then a weird thing happened. Engine sounded like it was missing on one of the 8 cylinders at idle. As I was putting truck in another area of yard it started puking white smoke or steam. It just happened for a few seconds and then went away completely. It did not smell like coolant being exhausted. I blew a head gasket on a gm 350 last summer and could totally tell white smoke/steam reeked of cooked coolant. I was thinking the cylinder that wasnt firing started firing and excess propane and possible moisture in that cylinder became cooked up. I couldnt find any evidence on net of propane burning white. After engine cooled down, engine oil was clean and slightly black (normal) and coolant was still up to normal level. I figure pull plugs and check for a really clean plug or coolant in cylinder. Ill crank it over with all plug out too see if coolant spews out. If that checks out, start it and pull one wire off at a time to see which cylinder is not firing. Then check plug wire resistance and\or test sparkplug.

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yes thank you for tge Pertronix tip. I researched that. I believe the Pertronix 1484A ignitor will work on this truck. I assume once its all hooked up with present coil and an ignition wire to coil I can toss the Prestolite Ignition module (gold box) just not 100% sure yet sounds like it. Maybe someone here know for certain?

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cendensor and Propane questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you do determine that coolant is getting into a cylinder (or more) before you tear off the heads remember that you have coolant circulating through the propane regulator as well just in case there is an internal leak in it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters