Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

unusual spark plugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

O/k so please don't judge me for this but I kind of collect old spark plugs, yes even used ones! Attached pics are some I have no idea what they are/where used on. If anyone has seen similar before or knows what they may have been used in please reply. First is a center fire plug ML 100

then champion dual fire??

then champion with tapered pipe threads??

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model T's used 1/2 inch pipe threads so they were tapered.
Richard in NW SC

KL in Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a set of Champion 33 dual fire in my 27 D JD. They are a 3 piece plug. You can take them apart to clean them. I also have a set of brand new ones that I bought in the early 70s. They are in a blue Champion box.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fascinating . I gotta get those in my collection !

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a Maytag washing machine engine at one time several years back (a model 92--one of the common ones) and I believe that it took a spark plug with tapered pipe thread. Interestingly enough, the local auto parts store had them on the shelf when I inquired whether they were available.

Lee_K
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mercury outboard motors (and probably other manufacturers) use plugs like the first picture. I know they still make those plugs, or similar, and probably still use them in the new Mercurys.

Lee

FWB in SK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first car 1949 Ford V8 custom 2 door had strange plugs that I had never seen before They fired all around the plug. There was no gap to set. They lasted as long as I owned the car. Never saw the same kind of plugs again. Any ideas?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OMC used those flat faced plugs back in the 70's.

They were not real successful, they worked but were usually replaced with regular plugs.

Makes sense to get the spark out away from the head surface. Up close to any surface in the combustion chamber can be an area of cold dead air that would be difficult to ignite.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our old E27N Fordson had similar plugs when we got it....uses conventional plugs now.

Ben

jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a set like that abut 1957. They were called Fire Injectors - or something which had the word Fire in it's name.

No, they did not make my 1955 Pontiac go 10 mph faster.

Ian Beale
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: unusual spark plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put "KLG M 100 spark plug" into an internet search engine will bring up a fair bit of information. Including the inventor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenelm_Lee_Guinness

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters