Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Been working her hard!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenster

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Been working her hard! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the year's time I've had my 52 8N I've used her only for mowing our seven acre meadow and the two or so acres around the house. But that acreage around the house was full of sand burrs and other assorted weeds so I decided I wanted to plow it up and plant grass.
As I mentioned a few days ago, I found and bought a Ferguson 14 AO 28 two bottom in very good shape and put it to work. With sandy soil and thin vegetation those plows really bit in. I learned how to control how deep they went and got my timing down pretty good on when to lower and when to raise the plow after making my turns.
I didn't like that the share's angle of attack was head-on and remembered reading in the PLOW BOOK about how to adjust the cross bar for a wider cut. Now, it was a beautiful thing to see this plow cut through and neatly lay over this soil. My rows were even pretty straight. I think, for a first timer, both my grand dads would have been proud.
We have an easement area under a power line that was overgrown by encroaching woods and the power company came out last summer and clear it out, giving me an area about 12 feet wide and 50 feet long of roots and stumps. I gently eased the tractor through there and the Fergie cut right through most of the roots, while exposing a dozen or so stumps of four to six inch diameter.
Today I went out, hooked up chain to stumps and tractor and ripped those babies right out of the ground. Yes, I used the front bumper and pulled in reverse. Safety first. I've got a few more stumps to do, but once I get this strip all cleaned up, it's going to make a nice horse shoe pitch.
Next project is to take a disc harrow to all this plowed up ground to smooth it out. I'll wait a couple of weeks before I do, to allow the freshly turned vegetation time to die off. Then I'll disc it a few times and plant bermuda grass.
Maybe now my bride will believe me when I say that the tractor is a tool, not a toy. Of course, it would help if I could say it without a smile on my face and a gleam in my eye!

Ed S. (IL)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Been working her hard! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing like using a tool to its full potential… Gives a real satisfied
feeling at the end of the day!

es

Ross Pugh(NC)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Been working her hard! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ain't it fun? Sounds like ye really enjoyed doing it, just don't let her know it. Tell her how hard the work was, and maybe she'll keep you.

Sean (TX)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Been working her hard! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We need pics!!!!!!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters