Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N Question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: 8N Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1949 8N with a problem with stalling. It will run for about 1 minute after starting but then stall out.(while running and or moving) I have check and cleaned the fuel bulb and line. Any suggestions?

Bruce (VA)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a good rule of thumb, a 1 - 2 minute run times is usually the condenser, ballast resistor, or vacuum lock....or, failure to turn the gas on. A 5 minute run time is usually fuel screens. A 15 minute run time is usually the ignition switch. A one hour run time & then restarts after it cools down is usually the coil. The questions you need to answer are: does it have spark and fuel? Check for spark by grounding an old plug to the block; crank it & look for a bright blue spark. Check for fuel by removing the bolt at the bottom of the carb w/ the gas turned on at the sediment bowl.

Kenster

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finner, you're off to a good start but didn't carry it far enough. First of all, does it die quick and sudden like, as if you threw a kill switch? If so, it might be an electric problem. But if it sort of just stalls out it could well be a fuel problem. Do you have the fuel shut off opened to a max of two full turns? If you open it up all the way you are taking gas from the "reserve" which is the bottom of the tank, where all the bad things go to die. I would advise never sucking gas from the bottom so stay out of your reserve. With the fuel valve on two full turns, walk around to your carb. Have a quart jar with you. At the bottom is a bolt plug. Remove that plug. You should have a good steady flow of gas. Let her "pee" until you get a pint or so to make sure the flow continues. If it does not flow well, or starts to diminish to a dribble, you have a fuel flow problem.
Do you know that there are three filter/screens in your 8N tractor? There is one in the elbow connector that hooks up the fuel line to the carb. There is a round flat one on top of the sediment bowl. And there is one up INSIDE your fuel tank attached to the top of your shut off valve assembly.
If it has been a long time since your gas tank was cleaned out, there is an excellent chance that you have dirt, gunk, and rust fines in there. These will clog up your fuel screens, especially if you have been drawing gas from your reserve. Remove and clean all three screens. It's possible, however, that the one up in the tank does not exist anymore. They sometimes just rust/disolve away. But it won't do any good to replace the screens if you don't also address the issue of the dirty/rusty gas tank.

I had this problem with my 8n several months ago. I attacked the whole system. My fuel shutoff valve assembly was gunked up. I replaced the whole thing which also took care of two of the filters. I replaced the fuel line. I replaced the elbow connector (another filter.) I replaced the carburator. And... I took the tank off and took it to a radiator shop and had it boiled out. Some people will have other ideas of how to clean the radiator and some will suggest coating it to prevent rust in the future.
I figure my fresh cleaning should last a couple of decades, especially if I keep the gas tank filled to avoid condensation which brings on the rust.
You might also find it's something as simple as the carb needing some minor adjustment. But check the filter/screens anyway and keep checking the sediment bowl for dirt and rust particles.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters