Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Howard Rotavator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just purchased a Howard Rotavator P 70. Looks like everything is there and will try to get it going. Don't know anything about this product so any help/advise will be appreciated. Right now it appears that it is "stuck" so I will try cleaning out gearboxes and refilling with gearoil. Just ordered an owners manual for assistance. Hope I didn't waste my money-lol. If parts are needed and ideas???

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the pto turn at all?
Does it have a quick change gear box? You might be able to remove the speed change gears and see where the trouble is.

Freezing weather where you live? Could have water in the main box or the drop box, hard water is tough on parts.

Or the rotor support bearing is seized up.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did try turning the pto with a pipe wrench in the field. Haven't tried since getting it home. Don't think it has a quick change gear box. Live in south Louisiana so hard freezing is usually not an issue. Will try putting diesel in the drop gear box in order to loosen old gear oil then refill. Will take cover off of main gear box but not at that point yet. Will work it to get it loose-hopefully not anything major. Thanks for input.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If input shaft on tiller gearbox won't turn with aid of pipe wrench then I'll guess 1 or more bgs in gearbox have seized.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you tried it while it was sitting in the field, unless it was up on blocks, it surely didn t turn because the tines were in the ground. You have to have the tines in the air before you can turn it by hand. Guy machinery in Harvard Il is likely the best place to find parts if needed. Tines will definitely be available, but if it s an older unit any parts specific to that model are going to be hard to source.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rockyridgefarm wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:32:30 03/03/20) If you tried it while it was sitting in the field, unless it was up on blocks, it surely didn t turn because the tines were in the ground. You have to have the tines in the air before you can turn it by hand. Guy machinery in Harvard Il is likely the best place to find parts if needed. Tines will definitely be available, but if it s an older unit any parts specific to that model are going to be hard to source.

I've put it on blocks and tried turning a bit but the weather is not cooperating at this time. I will fill the side gearbox with diesel in order to lubricate with something light and clean out old gunk(I hope it will). I feel that one or more of the bearings are frozen so with the diesel and greasing the bearing will help. Hopefully there is nothing major--time will tell. Appreciate the feedback.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will work (as soon as weather allows) on getting it loosen up by putting diesel in the side gearbox and greasing the bearings. Appreciate the feedback.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tsoileau wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:29:43 03/04/20)
I will work (as soon as weather allows) on getting it loosen up by putting diesel in the side gearbox and greasing the bearings. Appreciate the feedback.

Just an update. Had to remove side gear cover (couldn't get oil fill plug out and didn't want to drill). Special nut that holds middle gear was tough. All gears in side box look just like new. Haven't been able to see if shaft with tines turn free(believe there is work to be done there) or the main gearbox. That's what I plan on seeing about tomorrow. It does look heavy duty.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tsoileau wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:27:53 03/05/20)
tsoileau wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:29:43 03/04/20)

Just an update. Had to remove side gear cover (couldn't get oil fill plug out and didn't want to drill). Special nut that holds middle gear was tough. All gears in side box look just like new. Haven't been able to see if shaft with tines turn free(believe there is work to be done there) or the main gearbox. That's what I plan on seeing about tomorrow. It does look heavy duty.

I need to remove the yoke attached to the gearbox. The main seal is bad and needs to be replaced. The seal goes around the yoke and into plate behind yoke. Any suggestions on how to remove the yoke? I've attached pics. Thanks,

mudcreek183
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As badly rusted as that yoke heat might be you best friend to get it loose.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FIRST, make sure it is not threaded on. It likely is not, but I have seen dumber things. Most likely either splined or keyed.

Take the cross in the universal joint out and put a gear puller on the yoke. Once you have the gear puller on, then you can heat it if it does not come with just pressure.

Do all you can to save parts. Depending on the age of it, they can definitely be NLA. The cross is probably off-the-shelf, but I am guessing the yoke Is not. And if it is available, it might cost more than the tiller.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a castle nut which it seems held the yoke in place. I am planning on doing what you suggested. It appears that there is an oil seal that surrounds the yoke so any pitting would really make the yoke unusable. Once I can remove the yoke I will "attempt" to find a suitable replacement. I have never seen a seal around a yoke-around a shaft yes but not this.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tsoileau wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:33 03/08/20)
There was a castle nut which it seems held the yoke in place. I am planning on doing what you suggested. It appears that there is an oil seal that surrounds the yoke so any pitting would really make the yoke unusable. Once I can remove the yoke I will "attempt" to find a suitable replacement. I have never seen a seal around a yoke-around a shaft yes but not this.

I got to thinking after I posted-
You could also not mess with it and put a low temp grease in the gearbox. That might be far and away the cheapest fix, and unless you are planning on doing many acres a year, it could last a long time.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Certainly food for thought. I've read where cotton spindle grease works well in a gearbox. The seal is completely gone but maybe using some silicone around the yoke might slow down the leakage. Going to sleep on this--thanks for giving me something to consider. At lease this way I get some usage out of it.

tsoileau
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Howard Rotavator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tsoileau wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:59:37 03/08/20)
Certainly food for thought. I've read where cotton spindle grease works well in a gearbox. The seal is completely gone but maybe using some silicone around the yoke might slow down the leakage. Going to sleep on this--thanks for giving me something to consider. At lease this way I get some usage out of it.
Update: Was able to take off yoke and remove input shaft. The lobe on the shaft where the oil seal rides is pitted pretty bad. Since a replacement seems not likely, I am planning on going to a machine shop and see if they could cut it down to a smooth surface and get a seal with a smaller diameter--thoughts?? I've been able to loosen everything in the tiller--all bearings-spraying with penetrating oil and diesel and spinning. All gears look great. Progress-slow but progress.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters