Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Weatherproof wireing harness?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRH (MO)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm needing (wanting) a new wireing harness for my '50 8N. I've seen them on this great website as well as others, usually $20.00 or less. Ran across anouther website that said you don't wont that, you want a perfect reproduction that is weatherproof from some guy named Dennis Carpenter. Well, I checked it out (not that I'm restoring, just want it going), and it went from less than $20.00 up to $68-$74 depending on the serial number. $50.00 is a big difference in a litle set of wires. My question, are the reproduction ones really that much better or, are the other ones just as good? I did notice that the reproduction ones did come with a couple of rubber boots.
Thanks for you time and information.

K.LaRue-VA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not seen one that didn't come with the boots, that would be really cheap. If you are building a parade tractor, one of the $20 harnesses will work ok. But if your tractor is going to get rained on or plow snow you need a wiring harness that has heat shrink or equal protection on all the ends. It takes time to do it right, thus the higher price tag. Your call what will work for you.
kl

Dunk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ifn you want a show tractor, you need Dennis Carpenter Reproductions.

You can find things there you may not find anywhere else.

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

Ifn you want a werkin tractor..

Well git what werks.

Crutchfield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carpenter's products are usually superior to the imported stuff elsewhere. A "you get what you pay for" thing.
Crutch 40/9N

Jack-Illinois

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spark plug wires are high voltage and prone to short out. Your other 6 or 12 volt wiring could be submerged in water and still work fine. If memory serves me right the original was rubber insulation covered with a cloth wrap. It is not as physical tough as the newer plastic type wire. Plastic is more prone to melt if severly overloaded or would get against the exhaust mainifold. For a working tractor I would personally prefer the plastic type.

BillM (OH)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the wiring harnesses on both my 8N's with the el cheapo ones and they work fine. My tractors are workers, not trailer queens, so I don't need "original" stuff on them.

Ramrod

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just put a new wiring harness on GT ('49 8N) that I got from TSC. It was a perfect fit, and for the $20, I would do it again. The only other wiring harness I changed was on OW ('53 NAA), which was converted to 12v, so I went with a custom harness from Genesee Products. It too was not real expensive. I also buy stuff from Dennis Carpenter, and their stuff and service is great. They focus on 'exact as original' products, so their wiring harness will have cloth covering and exact copies of the insulator boots and wire colors. That would be my choice for a trailer queen, but not for good looking solid working tractors like GT and OW.

john hunt

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherproof wireing harness? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

go to the tractor supply store and get one for you tractor tnen get some heat srink tube and build you one for cheap. i just use a roll a black tape twice around work great

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters