Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NAA rocker oil lines

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have asked other questions about this tractor in tractor talk but the info I need now is more tractor specific.
It had a stuck valve. While working on it I discovered the rear oil line goes up and down when I crank it. I assume it is resting on a lifter? The front oil line was laying on the head and is a very loose fit. Any suggestions on how to fix them would be appreciated. I'm fixing it for a friend so I dont really want to buy a book.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 4 cyl Fords have just one oil line to the rocker arms. I am pretty sure that it is towards the rear. They have a grommet that seals the tube to the hole. With time the grommet gets STUCK to the head, and you have to pull VERY HARD to get it out. Often the grommet stays in the hole. Since it is sitting on the lifter it must be in too deep. I would try a short piece of tubing like fuel line to reseal it. The front one is probably just a wish since whoever did it knew that the way he was leaving it wasn't right.

WayneIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am wandering if the oil line is loose in the hole, missing the little seal(EAA 6594A), and thus when the rotating cam , having a hole in it to spurt a little oil up that tune(line) it makes the tub jump. The hole for the tube in the head should be between No2 and No3 cylinder. The short tub is probably the one off of the front mounting bracket, situated like the long tub is into back support.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-WayneIA wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:33:40 03/10/20) Am wandering if the oil line is loose in the hole, missing the little seal(EAA 6594A), and thus when the rotating cam , having a hole in it to spurt a little oil up that tune(line) it makes the tub jump. The hole for the tube in the head should be between No2 and No3 cylinder. The short tub is probably the one off of the front mounting bracket, situated like the long tub is into back support.
Yes, agree as to oil squirt making it jump, the line is between lifters, not able to contact one.

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The long tube #36 needs the grommet #37 and it needs to be pushed down into the block to seal. The short tube #44 just dumps the excess oil on top of the cylinder head. If the grommet is missing or not pushed down in the block far enough to seal it will bounce from the oil pressure. The tube does not contact a lifter. It is in line with the rotating bore of the block that supports the camshaft. The camshaft has a hole drilled there and as it rotates it supplies oil from the block oil galley through the tube and to the rocker arm assembly.

Mark
Rocker arm oil tubes

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mhb@ufe wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:59:54 03/10/20) The long tube #36 needs the grommet #37 and it needs to be pushed down into the block to seal. The short tube #44 just dumps the excess oil on top of the cylinder head. If the grommet is missing or not pushed down in the block far enough to seal it will bounce from the oil pressure. The tube does not contact a lifter. It is in line with the rotating bore of the block that supports the camshaft. The camshaft has a hole drilled there and as it rotates it supplies oil from the block oil galley through the tube and to the rocker arm assembly.

Mark
Rocker arm oil tubes
Link problem.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the replies. I did not think about the oil pressure moving it. I kind of had it running before I took the rocker cover off. It looked to have gotten oil up there. Now that the valve is unstuck I think I will see how it runs before I look into replacing seals.
I tried taking the side cover off before but it looks like i will need to remove the distributor to do that?

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hope I got it right this time

Mark
try this one

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. It looks like its supposed to have a hood down bracket. It also doesn't look like it goes in the seal very deep. I will have to get a closer look. This tractor is 10 miles from home and I'm getting real tired of it. I made a deal to fix it in trade for his 8n. I'm really starting to regret it. I guess I have kinda lost my passion. I hope its temporary.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is getting oil to the rocker and I can hold the line down with my finger.
Looks like it couldn't move very far if the valve cover was on.
The valve is moving but still not seating so I worked it and oiled it more.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is getting oil to the rocker and I can hold the line down with my finger.
Looks like it couldn't move very far if the valve cover was on.
The valve is moving but still not seating so I worked it and oiled it more.

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to make sure it has the rubber seal on the bottom of the long tube and it needs to be pushed down so that it seals in the block. The valve cover will not hold the tube down to have it seal in the block. If it has the old seal on it, that could have hardened so it won't push down into the block. Had a 640 that the PO had done a valve job and couldn't stop the valve train noise. Only problem was that the tube never got pushed down far enough to seat the seal.

Mark

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. I will be checking that out after I get the valve unstuck. Its is getting lots of oil up top just from cranking it over but I want to make sure it's right. I need to drive it up on blocks or something. I'm not use to bending over to work on tractors.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NAA rocker oil lines Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finaly pulled the side cover off. Does the rubber seal just stretch over the line and pushed into to block? I see there is a hold down on top of the rocker. The diagram also shows a bracket but I'm not sure where it goes. Number 35 I think. Also is there supposed to be something to hood the front line? This one just falls out. Anyone have a suggestion as where to get a new seal? Thank you. Still haven't got it to run right but that's a different thread and I thought I would work on this while I wait for parts.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters