Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Jube on Synthetic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally got around to putting Amsoil 100% synthetic in the Jube
with predictable results.

I've used conventional 15W40 in the '53 since I bought it.
With regular my oil pressure hovered around 40 psi at low idle.

So with the synthetic the low idle sped up a little and the pressure is steady at about 44 psi. I actually have to lower the idle screw a little.

Also, which I had hoped, the crankcase ventilation fumes are easier to take. About crankcase ventilation, I was contemplating putting a downward blowby tube from my GM collection of parts, onto the Jube so that crankcase ventilation isn't in your face when you drive down the road. So I discover, that unlike GM, the air is taken in at the filler pipe and exhausted out the cleanable vent on the valve cover. No wonder it is in one's face as it blows backward. Leave it to FORD
to vent the crankcase fumes up top! Real health consciousness, that Henry.

So I'm thinking about a long tube from valve cover to below block, bracketed to the block at the pan mount flange. with an angled cut like the GM blowby pipe, so the passing helps pull foul air out of the cover.and subsequently more fresh into the oil filler cap.

Conventional

Synthetic

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Typo:

so the AIR passing the end of the pipe created some draw pulling more foul air out of the cover.and subsequently more fresh in to the crankcase through the oil filler cap.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T. Perhaps Henry didn't expect a lot of blow by from his engines while G.M. did.:) I have a '54 NAA that doesn't have any noticeable blow by. I never see any or smell any coming back at me. Don't take this wrong, but it might be time to put a set of rings in your 67 year old tractor.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would never put full synthetic oil in an engine that had been running normal oil unless I did a complete overhaul and cleanout. But that is just me! use what you want!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:44:39 05/09/20) I would never put full synthetic oil in an engine that had been running normal oil unless I did a complete overhaul and cleanout. But that is just me! use what you want!

I've done it multiple times and there is nothing to worry about. In fact most synthetics today are in fact refined crude oil (Group III+). They are more aggressively refined than Group II which gives them a very high viscosity index that qualifies them as "synthetic". AMSOIL is still primarily PAO (Goup IV) but fully compatible with Group II and III base oils.

TOH

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you thought of plumbing back to the inlet manifold via a PCV valve? That a way it gets burned and you don't have to smell it.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jim L WA wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:18:51 05/09/20) Tall T. Perhaps Henry didn't expect a lot of blow by from his engines while G.M. did.:) I have a '54 NAA that doesn't have any noticeable blow by. I never see any or smell any coming back at me. Don't take this wrong, but it might be time to put a set of rings in your 67 year old tractor.

Jim,
Since I've had the tractor (2014) I've never had to add a drop of
top-up oil so I think my rings are fine. Being as my oil pressure is like factory pressure I'm sure the rings were done at the same time as the bearings.

What I do need is a valve de-carboning or grind.

Took it a half mile to a friends farm today where i park it and catch the bus to the food store. Fourth gear and not a trace of smell meeting my nostrils. Kind of like the Lucas synthetic, smokeless 2-cycle mix in my chainsaws. :)

I did a hundred Amsoil conversions in the 80's and always did a crankcase flush first . . . except for this time. I let it drip for a couple of hours and jacked up the front a little to level the oil pan to get the max out.

TOH
Yep, totally compatible.

Thanks,
T

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken,

Good plan.
That's what I tried with my old Chev 6 but I made a mistake because in the Chev the crankcase air flows INTO the valve cover and out the vent pipe down below. We always called that the blowby pipe, but it is really just the outpipe for the cranckcase3 ventilation.

But in this case with the breathing reversed, your idea will work. :D

thanks,
T

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What weight Amsoil did you use? Petrol or diesel oil?
Just curious.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Duner Wi wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:50:25 05/10/20) What weight Amsoil did you use? Petrol or diesel oil?
Just curious.

Duner,

15W40 Diesel Oil

I've got the same oil in my Chev 235. (1953 engine)
I had it in my '51 van before I parked it 20 years ago.

I was blown away how clean and shiny the rocker shaft assembly was when I pulled the valve cover in 2018 after all that time.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Duner,

this one:

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Amsoil seems to have many choices.Your 235 really clean.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Duner Wi wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:14:01 05/10/20) Thanks, Amsoil seems to have many choices.Your 235 really clean.

Choices for sure, and all those viscosity choices is what drew me to the company in the first place and got me into sales and doing conversions. there was 10W40, 15W40 and 20W50 right from the beginning.
At the time (mid seventies) the only other choices were a very thin Mobil 1 (5W10 I think it was) and another one I can't remember, neither of which would do in well used engines. Nowadays their choices and specific applications are really off the map.

grouser
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

changing oil viscosity, weight, or from dino to synthetic can change the wear patterns of the engine. You won't see,feel, hear that happening,,,,but it is,,,,,
does it make a difference?
dunno,,,you do it to your tractor, I'll watch. Why would anyone want to keep the same oil in a motor for an extended time is beyond me. clean fresh oil is the key to long life. imho You could change oil three times for the same money you pay for synthetic.....

I know,,arguing about oil is fruitless,,just saying

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jube on Synthetic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

grouser wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:31:11 05/13/20) changing oil viscosity, weight, or from dino to synthetic can change the wear patterns of the engine. You won't see,feel, hear that happening,,,,but it is,,,,,
does it make a difference?
dunno,,,you do it to your tractor, I'll watch. Why would anyone want to keep the same oil in a motor for an extended time is beyond me. clean fresh oil is the key to long life. imho You could change oil three times for the same money you pay for synthetic.....

I know,,arguing about oil is fruitless,,just saying

Confuscious say:

Anyone wanting to realize the advantage of extended drain or oil longevity, must change just oil filter as frequently as one would change conventional oil.

As for your wear pattern theory, Confuscious wans't into comedy.:D

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters