Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case IH 5100 Drill Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurayfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I acquired a Case 5100 grain drill, 21x7 with 20 inch wheels. Very similar overall to the Case IH 510. It needed some minor repairs but basically is rust free and complete. I now have everything set the way I want but encountered a problem with the two feed control levers. They are free to move to a degree but will not move beyond the range of 4 to 20 or thereabouts. It sounds to me like something in the grain cups is blocking free movement.

This drill sat a long time in a barn without being used or cleaned out. Is it possible that old seeds and husks are jammed up inside the cups? Would it help to blast the cups with compressed air or stick a powerful shop vac hose into each cup?

Thanks in advance.

Bill in Luray

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blow each one clean and add some penetrating oil to each one to loosen them up.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to what "case" said, turn the feed shafts with a crescent wrench to loosen 'em up and dump debris, then lube 'em some more, and repeat.

Before and after storage, we always sprayed 'em with diesel fuel mixed with some engine oil for added rustproofing and lube.

If the feed tube are rubber, don't overdo it and get it on the hoses and make 'em swell up.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I soak em in pb blaster and work the shaft back and forth and turn it and get it free . When done drilling I blow the drill out I soak the cups and feed mechanism in pb or liquid wrench so it stays free

Lurayfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies, great advice. I'll get on it tomorrow!

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I broke the caster wheel off my John Deere drill and it stayed up on that dry farm for about ten years when I finally found a caster wheel I?d left seed in it and the lids open so the horses could Eat the oats in the seed boxes they ate part of the seed but the rest soaked up rain and snow and went rotten . I got the drill home and cleaned the seed out then started soaking them with pb blaster used about 5 cans but the seed shafts came free . Finally some drills came to the salvage yard with good press wheels and I was able to fix the drill up and now I use it every year

This was the day the caster wheel broke .

Lurayfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love the Deere tractor -- 4020? I do a lot of my farming with a '61 3010, see picture. Terrific tractor. I wouldn't mind having a 4020 though. Real brutes.

Buying lots of PB Blaster tomorrow. Luckily the hoarders haven't gone after that.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Buying lots of PB Blaster tomorrow"

Diesel fuel will do the same thing for a LOT less $$$.

If you feel like spending money, get a one-gallon pump-up garden sprayer to use to apply the diesel fuel.

Put a pint in it, pump it up, and you can use the wand and nozzle to precision-apply the diesel fuel just where it's needed.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve never had any luck spraying diesel fuel on anything that
was actually stuck

Wicksfield
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, sounds like the seed delivery wheels are a bit seized. Good advice from the others. Also, there is an adjustment to calibrate the adjustment levers so when at zero, delivery wheels are completely in their housing. See your op. manual for adjustment calibration procedure.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on each seed cup there Is a small lever with three settings put all of those in the cleanout position and blow it all out just little lube goes along way.

Lurayfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all comments and suggestions. I've cleaned and lubed everything so the adjustment levers move fairly easily. The problem remains that neither lever will go all the way to one or zero and won't go upwards of 10 or so. The problem is not lubing or junk in the way. Looking underneath, I see that the adjustment mechanism is clanking metal on metal. That is, metal parts are restraining the adjustment. I will look into the manual about this. Note: cranking the main shafts with a wrench was not hard but did not change the situation. I need to get both sides down to a 2-3 setting. The left makes it but the right jams solid at 4.

Lurayfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Additional note: I think it's odd that both adjustment levers jam in almost the same low and high positions. As far as I can tell, the levers are completely independent from each other, they control two different sets of seed cups. Does this suggest that someone may have played around with the adjuster mechanism? The grass seed gears (machine does not have a grass seed box) are hitting a bracket on both sides and I doubt that's by design.

CVPost-Lurayfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:34:15 03/27/20) Thanks for all comments and suggestions. I've cleaned and lubed everything so the adjustment levers move fairly easily. The problem remains that neither lever will go all the way to one or zero and won't go upwards of 10 or so. The problem is not lubing or junk in the way. Looking underneath, I see that the adjustment mechanism is clanking metal on metal. That is, metal parts are restraining the adjustment. I will look into the manual about this. Note: cranking the main shafts with a wrench was not hard but did not change the situation. I need to get both sides down to a 2-3 setting. The left makes it but the right jams solid at 4.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Case IH 5100 Drill Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

get everything back to square one you will be fine. its unreal what some owners do to equipment.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters