Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Harbor freight ratchet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My big custom built 2 foot ratchet finally said no more today built it 3 years ago out a 2 foot professional breaker bar and Professional 1/2 flex head ratchet

kencombs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lifetime warranty. As good as Craftsman once once. Take the broken handle to HF, and get a replacement.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can?t it?s not a tool they make i built it myself I?ve had a 3 foot cheater on it several times

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the ear broke but not the ratchet itself. The HF hand tools have been improving over the years.

I've broken a couple of the Craftsperson breaker bars in the same way. That was even before they went to China. Always that same weak spot on breaker bars in general.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s where almost every one I?ve had has broke . I could take it back but probably not right I had to do a little modification to make it work

kencombs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've put together some similar over the years. As long as the breaker bar handle wasn't altered, just the drive replaced with the ratchet, it should be covered. Would of done the same thing with the original drive. IMO, the cheater is to be expected on a breaker handle, just the nature of the usage.

Kansas4010
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might try out their new Icon brand line. The ratchets and wrenches seem to get good reviews. The sockets not so much.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm impressed that the bar gave out before the Harbor Freight ratchet head.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told many years ago if a ratchet is any good it's stronger than a breaker bar. You found the weak point of that one!

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should have been using a 3/4 setup. Breaking them at the ears is a dead giveaway, operator error.

Tough to blame HF or any other maker for that.

Grouse

D7fever
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How long a pipe did you have on it? Years ago I used a 10' pipe on a Craftsman ratchet wrench to loosen a bolt on a car chassis ( it was upside down) old wrench from the early 1940's Didn't seem to phase it at all, still have the ratchet wrench. Good luck with your block patching project. Use some red locktite on the threads of your plugs, will help seal them.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really held up well giving the picture the other day of the long pipe cheater being lifted by the new Holland loader ! lol.

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can fix that breaker bar. Mine broke just like yours did. I welded it with 7018 rod and it has held up to a lot of torque.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I broke one too but in all fairness I was standing on it jumping up and down trying to get a harmonic balancer bolt loose. Ended up having to get a 3/4" drive wrench to break it loose.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s true but the pin never fit quite right in the ratchet head had to shim it with a flat washer . I really keep hoping they will make one but they haven?t yet

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters