Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A-Frame Hoist Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking for ideas/plans for building an A-frame hoist. It would be primarily used for setting a Dunham-Lehr front end loader off and on an 885 David Brown. Don't want it to be specialized just for that though, I'm sure it would see other lifting chores as well. A knock-down style would be nice too. After searching on line for ideas it seems what is acceptable in a A-frame hoist is dependent on who you ask. They range from plain scary to massive over kill.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many loaders have been taken off, stored, and put back on using two wooden poles set in the ground with a simple wooden pole crossbar.

CHEAP to make if you have access to a decent used highline pole or two, and doesn't tie up the A-frame in your shop while the loader is being "stored", should you choose to build one.

I have two steel "A-frames" that were both made by others many years ago, one is nicely made, and the other is simply made of some chunks of 5" or 6" well casing welded together with miscellaneous pieces of scrap iron as braces. (The builder was a well driller!)

Ugly as $#&&, but very H.D..

For ideas on a lighter or collapsible unit, take a look at the one linked below.
Horror Fright A frame

circus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe a search of wooden gantry crane could give you some ideas. Maybe strong saw horse braces at strategic spots. Lumber is infinitely recyclable.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just like ideas on how to build one vary, needs also vary.
Need some idea of dimensions and capacity to help much. As
said it doesn't take much to lift a loader4 but it does to lift an
engine.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made one simular to the HF unit butit was dot foldable. I did hafe bracing at top between uprights and top cross piece. I did have 2 trolies on top to put 2 chain hoists on to be able to lift on both sides of a piece of machinery and hold it in place, only one hoist wants to let what you are lifting tip to one side or the other. In my hay rake rebuilding (4 wheel rakes) I could with both hoists lift complete front end of rake and work with axle or wheels off without woring about it tipping on me. A hoist for each side of loader would make aligning easier and half ton hoists are not expencive.

Handsome Devil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ScottNC wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:33:57 03/27/20) I'm looking for ideas/plans for building an A-frame hoist. It would be primarily used for setting a Dunham-Lehr front end loader off and on an 885 David Brown. Don't want it to be specialized just for that though, I'm sure it would see other lifting chores as well. A knock-down style would be nice too. After searching on line for ideas it seems what is acceptable in a A-frame hoist is dependent on who you ask. They range from plain scary to massive over kill.

I threw this one together about 12 years ago. It is limited to being in my shop with concrete floor. It is heavy and hard to move by yourself. I did not intend to use it like a mobile crane. When I pick up heavy items you are not going to move this crane. Never intended it to do so. I intended it to load or unload trailers or to split tractors possibly. I moved a lot of machine tools and air compressors and it works like I want it too. My height limit is approx 13 ft because of trusses. I can turn the crane and use the trolley to move machines while off the ground. As you can see if my pictures load, one hoist is a 1 ton and the larger chain fall is a 6 ton. The most I have picked up is about 6000 lbs {radial drill press} and 7000 lb lathe. Approx wts. This may be more than your looking for but it is an idea on how you could do it. I wanted to be fancy and make mine ht adjustable but decided to go as high as I did and be done with it. Mine can go quite a bit higher and have holes drilled in the I-Beam leg assembly for pins. In lowest position I am at my maximum working height inside my shop. Have thought a permanent outside crane higher with same capacity would be nice. My 13 ft ceiling or max ht runs out pretty quickly when the trailer is already 4 ft high. I try to think of "what if" meaning I want to have more than enough crane to do what I want. In case some heavy iron follows me home. But it is good to have a weight limit as to what you can unload safely. It will stop you from going overboard.

I think a lighter duty portable gantry would be handy depending on what your thinking of using it for. If your buying a store built crane than it is a different story than building your own?

1970-1655
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad always used a shade tree if he had to remove the loader from our International H years ago. Worked great until insects got in the tree where the limb comes out and it started rotting. Got too unsafe so dad traded tractor for a much newer with quick mount loader.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: A-Frame Hoist Ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same design as I built mine but mine was not asjustable. Only 8' high and wire enough to back a trailer under. A bit wider would have been nice but built it to fit drive in my shop that was the old granery. My wheels were not casters but mounteddirectly to bottom part of frame and I think mine were longer to keep it from tipping over. And I never got it into shop, just on gravel in barnyard under a maple tree.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters