Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tater hiller

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got this old cultivator frame and parts a while back. Decided to try to make a potato hiller. Hope it dries up enough soon to try it

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To hill them would you not want to twist the discs a bit more and remove the shovel in front. Or are you ditching for the planting first.

Moonlite37
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thinking that the plow will loosen up dirt and allow it to hill better. Garden will we plowed and disked first. Maybe dont need the front plow........

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it will work!Use the center plow to plant them,,,take off the disks,,,then take off the center plow,,and put the disks on to hill

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Larry! Pictures sure help! Hopefully we can get em planted this Fri. No rain in forecast until Saturday. We have never planted taters in the garden. Tried them in buckets, barrels and boxes, with very little luck.

JK-NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The center shovel will work good for opening up a furrow to plant the potatoes then use just the discs to hill and the center plow might work good for digging the potatoes. I would remove the center plow for hilling and cultivate between the rows just before you Hill.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Add a drop tube behind your middle buster, a seat and a "dinger" and you can plant and hill at the same time. The "dinger" dings every 12". My planter is offset because I use a tricycle tractor. We plant over 800 feet of potato row each year without making a footprint in the dirt.

I got the idea of the "dinger" from Sam. He used to post on YT - I think he is from Ireland?

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep at it grandpa you?ll be a big time operator !

Potato hiller does two five row beds at once

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have THREE problems with plating taters

1) the crew goes M.I.A when it comes time to drop'em in the hole.

2) the crew goes M.I.A when it comes time to pick'em up

3) I have no good way to store them for a long time.

The crew as no problem eating them tho...

The big question that would go well with this post is how do those in the south store them...

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo we grew sweet potatoes last year and
got 300+ lbs. Stored them on a shelf in
our pantry. Cool and dark in there. They
are still good. Hope white potatoes
store as good

fixt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We always buried them in a hole lined with hay or straw and covered the hole with a piece of tin. Put a layer of straw or hay on the top of them before the tin. They kept fine. We are not as far south as you so I don't know if it would work in the low country.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is how we store them.
Richard in NW SC

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tater hiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I keep forgetting about canning them : )

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters