Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case Plow Pull Easy?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Sanderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been told that a Case plow pulls easier than other makes. Is that true? I would like to hear your experience with this.

Also, does the Case plow turn the soil over as well as, say, an IHC #60 or #70?

I have my eye on two plows, a #60 IHC and a Case (model unknown), each in 4-14" and would like to hear your input.

Thank you.

Joel

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not so much different in later plows but Case plows always pulled easier than the 50's and 60's vintage JD plows,, wait someone will Scream I am fibbing here but I am not at all,, but I did hundreds if not thousands of demo's against all brands in the 60's and 70's to know it is true,, then it was a bottom different,, Oliver/IH and Ford plows all were close in how hard they pulled,, we sold a Lot of new Case plows and not just to people with Case tractors,, I have a couple IH pull-types from the 40's-50's era,, they seem to turn the dirt over fine and pull decent for sure,, the JD ones I thought turned the dirt over fine just had faster wear on the moldboards/shins and did pull harder,, the above pic I was plowing a old alfalfa field

Mike Fitz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My general opinion is for trailing plows of the 40's and 50;s the Case plows pulled easier, they used their tail wheel to take the pressure off of the landslides of the plow when properly adjusted, lowering the drag in the ground, they were also a very rigidly built plow so when adjusted they stayed where they were supposed to. By the time the IH model 60 or 70 came out IH may have adopted this too,I don't know. In my observations at plowing matches and plow days, and general farm plowing in the past, all plows will do a good job, BUT proper tractor and plow set up, as well as understanding by the operator will make the critical difference. There is a difference between stirring dirt and plowing. The IH plow will be easier to find parts for though.This is just my opinion, and I really do like Case plows.
Mike

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Case model CH 4-14 , I pull it with my John Deere 3010 Diesel. The plow does a beautiful job. The soil looks like it has been disked .
You will not go wrong with either brand.
Brian

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here in this black gumbo ground it was a known that Oliver plows pulled easiest. If you think about it though, any plow that pulls easier cannot turn the ground as complete. Hence, easy pull, less coverage. Hard pull, more coverage. That's because there has to be more friction to turn the dirt more. Now this is assuming both plows are at same depth. Think of it this way. 4-14 plow is 56 inches wide. Now lets say you take a 56" wide chisel plow. 3 shanks running the same 7" deep. That would pull very very easy but you would have almost no coverage.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grew up pulling JD plows,Case and IH would be the ones I would buy now to pull.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We, and later I had a MM plow which dad thought pulled the best against JDs

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

International makes a good plow but after pulling a 3x14 oh and a 3/14 John Deere I can?t tell any difference in the way they pull and no way a gear faster that some ?claim?

Jim Phelps
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never owned a set, but I have always heard that oliver plows were the best????

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot that I had had a 3 bottom Case Centeninal 3 14, that we had used in NE Kansas with my grandads CC Case, but I couldnt pull it down herwe on flat land in NE Okla. I took one bottom off and was OK. But I didnt see much of a difference between it and an IHC 2 14 I later bought. I think it pulled easier, but thats just me. We used the Case as a 3 bottom in the Missouri River foothills, but I couldnt use it here on flat sandy OKLA land. Go figger

Joel Sanderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all very much. I appreciate everything you said.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No Case dealers around after at SC-DC era and very few before that.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefered John Deere over Oliver. Best plow I had was a David Bradly from probably 46 to perhaps 53 as no longer in 54 catalog.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both JD and IHC were made same way in the 40's as the Case was, Also MH and MM. Never had IH but did not like Oliver, MH or MM. The JD with wider axle setting would penetrate hard ground better than the others with narrower setting of wheels and were based on adding a third bottom to a 2 bottom to get three bottom where Deere was designed as strictlt 3 bottom with no way to reduce to a 2 bottom.

Joel Sanderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Case Plow Pull Easy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought case bought out International Harvester in the mid 80's.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters