Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH560 Starting Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kpowers75
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an IH560 gas that I recently put new selves and pistons in doing an in mount rebuild. I also had the head rebuilt. When I got everything back together I had a heck of a time getting it started. I finally short some starter fluid in the carburetor air intake and after a few attempts it fired.

It ran for a few months just fine. Then a few weeks ago it started and about 2-3 seconds later it shut down. I checked the fuel and there was a blockage. Cleared that out, but still wouldn t start. I pulled the air intake off the carb and gas poured out of the air install on the carb. I let it dry out and pulled the valve cover and verified the gap settings. Then verified I was getting spark. All seemed good. I tried starting it again and no luck. I put a little short of starter fluid in the cylinder directly and it fired and ran like crap for about 30 seconds and then shut down. I then wrenched down the intake/exhaust manifold to ensure it had a good seal. They were not as tight as they should have been. I tried starting again and no luck.

It seems like a vapor lock of some sort. But not sure or how to fix it.

One last thing to mention. During the rebuild the spring on the exhaust manifold that flips the lever in the manifold when cold broke. Not sure if that is impacting the air flow for the fuel.

I appreciate any help or ideas.

Handsome Devil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not trying to insult your intelligence but bear with me I am not getting a smart or trite with you. You say your getting spark. Did you pull the plugs out and look at them very closely. To see if the spark is blue/white and arcing properly? I have a 460 with very similar motor that was giving me fits. A project I bought but had not used often or hard. Then sat for most of two years. I had a lot of trouble keeping it running right, usually seemed to be running rich? I know that sounds carb. So I started over, got plenty of gas, checked spark and point gap, checked valve adj against book cold and hot. Readjust float which was off a little. Tested after every adjustment or check, no difference. Finally I thought back to plugs. So I pulled them and watched them spark one at a time with my readers on and not from 3 ft away. I had two plugs that got spark but not on the electrode but deeper in the plug. Put new set of plugs in and she ran wonderful. I had no power, started hard. I was miffed because it took me so long to find something so simple. Then checked/adjusted RPM and reset the timing which was off not real bad but was off. After the plugs and adjust timing with proper RPMs against the book the thing never ran better. I would go over all the simple things first.

Did you have the distributor out? If so you need to recheck your timing and check it at the proper RPM not by ear. I know a guy that thought that was good enough. But I had to do it the hard way for a long time. Adjusting your carb and chasing shadows is not going to straighten out a fundamental step if you didn't do it after it went back together. I timed by ear because I didn't have a timing light or tachometer and it worked ok most the time. Then one day one of the better mechanics here mentioned this and the light bulb went on. How simple to do and everything you need to try comes after this step {In my book anyway}. If you don't have your points, timing and RPMs at a place where you know you are there, then a lot of your other trouble shooting is wasted. If you have done this great but you didn't mention it. I felt really dumb when it was the plugs initially. Now it just runs great and starts on first touch of the starter. In my case I am not done and want to do a compression check to see where I am at.

Start over with the basics if it ran good for for a few months as you stated it must be something relatively simple. Really examine your spark on the plugs. I missed it first time around and it took less than 5 minutes to correct what I missed. I might have bigger problems but the thing runs great after these rather fundamental fixes. Best of luck and do us a favor and tell us what you found to be causing you the problem. Regards, John.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well since i am NOT there lets start off with your valve set Go back over it BY THE BOOK and a HOT valvve wset is a temp over 70 degrees ambient . Next ya need to get the ing timing real close then set it running at high idle , you also need to check your dist. to make sure the centrifcle advance is working aqnd not stuck or have broken spring . Next ya need to either DIY carb rebuild and i am not talking a spray can of cab and choke cleaner i am talking drowning it in REAL carb cleaner for 24 hours then a hot soapy water wash and clear water rinse and blow dry with compressed air followed up with each and every passage cleaned out with tiny drill bits then blowen out and checked for flow rebuild . IF you have done EVERYTHING correctly and have everything set correctly that engine will start even with out pulling the choke . And a little FYI for ya you will have to check the manifold several times more and pull it down before it finally takes a set . Everyone wants to become a master mechanic over night . even if i was standing next to the tractor and working on it myself tryen to figure out where you went wrong i would have to back track everything .

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will second Handsome's info. Pull the plugs and lay them on a noncombustible surface (not concrete) and heat them until the tip of the center
electrode is turning a bit red. Put them in as hot as you can. Something in the chemical mix of today's fuel can form conductive deposits and short
them out. Jim

Kpowers75
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have mentioned some of the other things I had done, like set timing, new plugs, check the gap on the points and new coil whdn I rebuilt it.

I did notice when I pulled the plugs to check the spark yesterday they are really black already and was pretty surprised on that. I also buy non-ethanol gas. Also set the timing by a timing light and advanced it about 8-10 on the wheel. Only did it at about 3/4 rpm though, once I get it running I do it fully throttle.

I am going to grab a new set of plugs and if that doesn t work have the carb rebuilt. I post back what I find.

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the plugs are really black already... that is the wonders of this garbage gas and engine not running hot enough. once the plugs get carboned up they will not fire properly. and buying new ones is a waste of money. same thing will happen. run her hot avoid long idling and use a hotter one if possible. its not like when we started these tractors and went to work in the field all day long. do you have a thermostat in that engine? also plugs can be cleaned in a bead blaster , ? be the same as new plugs. plus check how they are sparking when removed. should hear a crisp snap with a blue spark. if engine was rebuilt the carb should have been done also. pretty important, don't want excess fuel in cyl's ? right back to you plug fouling.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: IH560 Starting Problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gas pouring out of the air intake(install?) indicates the engine is flooded.

Either the float needle is not closing/sealing properly, or you're using way too much choke.

The black spark plugs indicate a rich running condition, too much fuel.

Two signs of a carburetor problem.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters