Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Haybine 488

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would a New Holland 488 be a decent machine for 200 acres of grass hay? I found a used one in really nice shape.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think it would do just fine. Not as good as a disk bine but better then a sickle bar mower

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 9 ft machine will take a while but if doing own it wouldnt make much difference. Would not be a custom machine unless narrow gates are a problem.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

better get on it. I have a 498 and no complaints. new Holland makes pretty good stuff.

SHALER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one. 488's have been made for maybe 45 years now so that says something. Now, I have about a quarter of your hay acreage. Here in the eastern corn belt I personally do not know anyone that has more than 150 acres of hay that uses one. Vast majority of folks north of 100 acres have a disc mower or a discbine. I am guessing you are in Minnesota and I know nothing about making hay there. IF you dont work off the farm or are not really pressed for time, Id suppose Id buy it. If you only can make hay after your day job or on weekends, Id get a disc machine.

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Certainly a good mowing machine, but I sure wouldn't want to cut 200 acres with one when disc mowers are so common.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm picking mine up this week. Been in a barn for 10+ years. Hopefully a tune up and go. $250. Worth a shot

John in Md.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah, the memories. First cutting orchard grass, wrapped crushing rolls, hay down only mowing in one direction, repairing wobble box, pulling 9' knife for broken section, Broken Guards, choked cutter bar. That's why it's cheap, I'd but a 7' New Idea Cutditioner before I'd buy a 488.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John in Md. wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:11:37 03/31/20) Ah, the memories. First cutting orchard grass, wrapped crushing rolls, hay down only mowing in one direction, repairing wobble box, pulling 9' knife for broken section, Broken Guards, choked cutter bar. That's why it's cheap, I'd but a 7' New Idea Cutditioner before I'd buy a 488.

A Cutditioner over a good 488?!!!! Ha, ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!!! :lol:

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen the disteraus job the disk bines do and would never own one. As for the 200 acres is that total acres made per year in say 1 couttung or like where I am average 5 cuttings per year for 40 acres per cutting.

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:17:45 03/31/20) I have seen the disteraus job the disk bines do and would never own one..

Huh? Not sure what you ve seen but clearly it wasn t a normal one.

MNfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Total acres for the year. Maybe 20 acres of second crop.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This pair have cut thousands of acres.

I bought the 488 new in 1990, and still have it, though I don?t use it much anymore, it was my main hay cutting machine for 25 years. I now cut with a disc mower, only because it is faster. The 488 doesn?t require a expensive high hp tractor to run it, and 200 acres spread across first and second cut isn?t a big deal. Good machine, parts readily available from NH.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Service it then put it to work. Should be a very good machine if in very good condition. Hopefully, you got it at a very good price. Smaller hay tools are down some in price right now at least where I am.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those cutditioners did not even sell next door to where they were made. So cost was less because of no shipping And New Idea has not existed for years no parts being made.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters