Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Unknown model Case 4 bottom

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy12
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an old case trailer plow that I do not know the model of. Someone told me it is a Case model G from the late 50's but I have not found any information on this model anywhere. There is no serial number tag located anywhere on the plow. I am also wondering what type of trip mechanism these plows were supposed to have? Mine did not have anything when I bought it four or five years ago and I am worried I will break something major one of these days.
Here are some of the pictures I have of it.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not a GT Series but a model "A" Series easy to see the diff as only the "A" models have the rail road iron for the frame
cnt

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?m not so familiar with Case equipment, did Oliver make the bottoms for them for a time?

I sure would expect to see either a shear pin or a trip mechanism in each of the bottoms along the shanks there, but again not totally familiar with the Case lime and you don?t have a good side pic of a bottom.

Paul

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

starting in the 1974 production year Case bought plows from White mfg until then Case made them Case had trip bottoms starting in the late 50's,, you had to back up to reset them,,

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can see on the pictures nutty posted that the plow has a spring loaded hitch. When you hit a rock the whole plow comes uncoupled from the tractor. The hyd. hoses pull apart and fall down in dirt. The coffee you were drinking from that little cup on your thermos spills all over your pant leg from the jolt and if you were starting to get a little drowsy, you are now wide eyed. So now you have to back up and try to hook plow up only to climb on and off tractor 5 times before you are lined up. Then you take your handkerchief and wipe dirt off hose ends. But you can't get them connected because there is pressure in the lines so you have to tap hose end on tractor draw bar which sprays oil all over your pant leg and glasses and gloves and shoes. Then you get everything hooked up and backup a bit, raise plow over rock and after 20 minutes you are plowing again. The bad part is that next round when you come to that area it will happen again.

gmccool
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Flying Belgian I have to say I've been there done that. The only difference was I didn't have gloves on so I had to wipe my hands best I could with some fresh plowed dirt even though I knew it wouldn't work so as you I ended up wiping my hands on my pant legs after all.

Billy12
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there anywhere I could look for that type of hitch? This plow literally has a wagon hitch welded onto it so there is no give at all.

Billy12
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds very accurate but still better than breaking a share every time you hit a rock. What types of plows do you prefer to run then?

Bobl1958
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't tell exactly by the picture, but the lift does not appear to be correct for the A series plow does it? Unless it has been farmerized. Bob

Bobl1958
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the correct spring release hitch for the plow. Where are you located? Send me an email. Bob

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cant see his in any pics but it sure looks like the early A I have here that is trip lift and not hyd, I know its a Model A with the frame being made the way it is

Bobl1958
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree and I am thinking only the early A's were green axles. I didn't notice the trip lift. My guess is someone added the lift to a trip lift plow. That would definitely make it an A Series. Bob

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well today I have a 2800 JD. automatic reset vari-width. Love it but talk about pulling hard. Eye, eye, eye.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joel Sanderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown model Case 4 bottom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, here's another slant: Has anyone seen one of these Case model A plows sprung? Anywhere? Ever? I have yet to see a picture of a wobbly looking Case of this model. They're made stronger than crocodiles: the tongue is connected too all three frames by two plates on each frame (JD and IH #60s have one plate only on the outer two frames), the bottoms are held on with twice the size metal of any other plow ever made (including the modern resets), the wheels' lifts are larger diameter than IH or JD, and that frame is miniature railroad iron. Seems to me if your horsepower is matched to your plow size, you'd stop your tractor before you'd bend anything on this beast, even with a solid hitch.

I plowed a field two years ago with a wimpy little 2-16 Oliver (not nearly as solid as this Case) pulled by my '44 JD A. The field had lots of tree roots, so I put a bolt through the spring hitch so it couldn't trip. That A didn't have nearly the pull to hurt that plow, but I did pull up a lot of roots that otherwise would have unhitched it and would still be sucking the life out of my hayfield.

I don't know if there are stones where this plow was used, but the fact that it is not sprung even though it was pulled by a solid hitch kinda confirms my opinion of them.

Just a thought here. I know most of you fellows have a lot more experience than I do. Listen to them, Bob. ;)

Joel

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters