Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1949 8n ford startup after sitting for 30 plus years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1949 8n ford startup after sitting for 30 plus years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-catrigger wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:13:16 04/04/20) This tractor ran ok before it sat for all those years. Every year it started right up in the spring. All fluids were drained except for the oil when it was set in a shed for all
these years. The motor was stuck when I got it. The carberater has a new kit. The tractor was used each spring to plow and work up a large garden.

I will risk asking the obvious. If you " tore it down and fixed or replaced all parts that were need." why is the compression so low? I think I would focus on that more than worry about why a tractor that ran when parked wont start 30 years later. A lot of water has passed under that bridge by virtue of your rebuild. Clearly something that needed replacement wasn't, the replacement went bad, and/or some other critical element was missed.

TOH

catrigger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 8n ford startup after sitting for 30 plus years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I put oil in each cylinder it raised the compression to 80-85 on all cylinders. I shot starting fluid in the intake and put my hand over the carb to create more suction and it fired on one maybe two cylinders. I have not done anything with the timing as the tractor ran when it was put away. when I placed my hand over the intake (carb) i had suction. I made sure the key was on, spark to all plugs, the carb is full of gas.

catrigger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1949 8n ford startup after sitting for 30 plus years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I say I tore it down and replaced what needed replacing. The motor was stuck. I took the head off, replaced one valve assembly because the valve was bent and
frozen. After soaking the pistons and valve assembles with ATF- penetration oil and other remedies to losen them up, the motor turned and all the valves open and
close properly. I put in a new head gasket, intake and exhaust gaskets and a new carb kit, new wiring all around, new plugs,new distributer cap, new key switch, new
battery cables, new water pump, and a new oil pump. I did not touch the timing.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters