Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MUTT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the old timers hear may remember a helper I had around 07 to 09 he was green still in high school. Mutt wanted to work on heavy equipment I pushed him to follow his dream. He has his own service truck and is doing quite well. I had a MF 285 to do a head gasket on I cut my hand BAD using a cut off wheel so I called Mutt.

He got it back together today I helped him diagnosis it, remove the head once he got everything off and do the prep work and set the head back on...

It was enjoyable to work with someone that we both knew what needed to be done it went like clock work... A big plus Mutt has a crane on his service truck : )

It was one of the biggest mistakes I have made letting mutt slip away from me and I knew it. The day he left to move on to bigger and better things when he handed me my shop key I told him to keep it if he ever wanted to come back he had a key to the door I would change the shop sign to Mutts garage I would work for him...

BTW the rad sitting on a table cost $1K to re-core SHOCK

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GOOD JOB, Hobo!

He has a lot to thank you for!

Jim in Eastern NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is always good to see a young person working with both hands, all ten fingers, and heavy machines rather than just their thumbs on some e-gadget.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great story Hobo! In my profession, I have had many mentors whom I think of often. I have also had the privilege of mentoring others.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, he has most anything one would need for field repair its laid out nice. I had to ask if he ever needed a helper he said no he had rather do it himself and not suffer from stuff others leave loose... About the only time a helper is nice is when he has to take a cab off...

He went from heavy to small excavators and such and loves the work... Gregory Poole kept calling him up for a interview he had to take a haft day off of work for the interview I told them they were making a big mistake if they did not hire mutt he was that one in a million. He is the only help I ever had that did noting that gripped my arse not one thing. I could show are tell him one time he rolled with it he has that knack to figure out the easiest way to take something apart and not scared of anything.

HE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT he was a poor boy now lives in a 300K house has new Trucks, cars and plenty of toys... As long as he can work and get his money he will never hurt for anything : )... This trade has beat me up BUT I have never been without are broke...

John in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great to hear of success being passed along to help another person become successful. The learning can
be two way, a teacher can learn from a student, too. Everyday can be a learning experience. I told my
kids and I tell my grandkids, learn something new every day. It does not have to be some spectacular
profound new knowledge.
Now, if Mutt will, at some point, take on a promising young person and pass along his knowledge, he will
forever have influenced the future.

PatrickB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to hear a story like that Hobo! That kid will always remember you.

I've worked with young guys like him, guys that are mechanically minded and eager to learn; the're a pleasure to be around.

I was lucky to start out in a trade where the people teaching me were very talented. It's unfortunate a person can't bottle what they learned in 40 years of work. I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things in this business.

gajack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: MUTT Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Sir for taking the time to help
someone else to make a success of their life.
I have had good men like yourself help me in many
aspects of life and have thanked each and every one
along my path.
This young man will never forget how you helped him and
will tell his story to the next guy, who, with luck,
will learn from him.
My father taught a lot of guys how to be electricians,
I still get thanks from a few who remember him and some
of the things he taught them myself included.
Thanks again. I believe a lot of viewers on this site
see you name and look to read your comments, I know I do.
The man I started out "meckanicking" with was some where
in his 70'S, Joe Lee's garage. He started his shop
some where around 1929. I was sixteen and started in 1967
just out of high school.
Thanks for letting we look back. Best to all.
Good Luck, jac

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters