Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HP Gain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roughly how much HP can I gain if pull the .090 sleeves and go sleeveless with oversized pistons in the 8n?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:43:40 04/05/20) Roughly how much HP can I gain if pull the .090 sleeves and go sleeveless with oversized pistons in the 8n?
Maybe 11%

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:32:44 04/05/20)
CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:43:40 04/05/20) Roughly how much HP can I gain if pull the .090 sleeves and go sleeveless with oversized pistons in the 8n?
Maybe 11%

Assuming HP linear with displacement? I'm thinking the engine is also going to need help with breathing to make that happen?

TOH

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How so ? The head?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-kirk-nj wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:54:26 04/05/20) How so ? The head?

Flathead breathing modifications is one of those hot button topics. You can find more than you probably want to know with a few well chosen Google searches. Based on my limited research consensus among the flathead gurus seems to be that outside of a blower little can be done to improve breathing. That is why I suspect the power gain will be less than 1:1. Fun experiment though....

TOH

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:47:21 04/05/20)
JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:32:44 04/05/20)
CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
Maybe 11%

Assuming HP linear with displacement? I'm thinking the engine is also going to need help with breathing to make that happen?

TOH
Well,..............you did notice that I said "maybe". Also, compression ratio will be altered a bit, too. I'm not at all sure that my butt could feel 2 hp out of 24.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doing a bit of search and old Dell recommends smog pump off 454
Chevy

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:39:31 04/05/20) Well,..............you did notice that I said "maybe". Also, compression ratio will be altered a bit, too. I'm not at all sure that my butt could feel 2 hp out of 24.

You are always careful in your assertions and my thoughts exactly. :roll:

TOH

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So in other words the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk-NJ, Nitrous Oxide NOX, is the way to go ,cheap reliable horse power.
But most tractor pulls will not allow the use of it.
Have you thought of a turbo charger,all kinds on little 4 cyl cars now days, with like a Rochester 2 barrel carburetor like from a Chevy on a home brew intake and a 4 tube header.
What type of pulls do you have in your area?
Most pulls have strict rules that have to be followed or you wont pull.
I have a NOS NEW set of M&W high compression Pop Top pistons,pins,rings and sleeves in the garage for a N Ford.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was done back in the day, and it wouldn't have been done without noticeable gain.

Maybe 10%.

Dean

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With two equal tractors you would...

If you installed a 9N head on a real good running 8N it would all of a sudden become a dud if had a reference of before and after...

Raising the compression is the cheapest and easiest HP gain on a N... breathing is his least worries unless he plans to turn it up...

RogerinIowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know power increase, but had a 9N with pop up pistons running in block. Woke ut up , but had to put on pressurized radiator to keep cool. Have grandads 8N that was last overhauled by me running pistons in block in 1965. Still does not use oil. It has been used as a farm tractor pulling a grain drill, etc. Biggest advantage I think is heat transfer that makes rings last longer. Sleeves when removed usually show bluing from heat.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have u already painted it blue? :)

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: HP Gain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bingo., Hobo.

Increasing compression ratio increases torque, as does increasing displacement. HC pistons would help but these have not been available for decades.

One is not going to increase RPM much above rated speed without improving breathing, and one would not want to do so anyway, unless trying to pull it, because 8Ns are already geared too high.

The most significant improvement is a Sherman combination. With such, one can operate in UD with RPM at around 2,100, so as to achieve max rated HP and increased torque on the PTO. Simply operate in the next higher gear.

Dean

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters