Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy r
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a John Deere 70 diesel that was converted to electric start. I bought it that way and may eventually convert it back to a pony start. In the meantime it needs a new light switch. The John Deere 730 electric start tractors which my 70 diesel conversion was modeled after have two different light switches - one is for a tractor with 2 lights and the other is for a tractor with 4 lights. The 2 light tractors must have the lights coming off at the rear hood and the 4 light tractors must have fender lights. The JD 730 two light switch are around $140 and the switch for the 4 lights are around $70. I know the difference must be the resisters on the 2 light switches. Can I buy the cheaper switch and make it work since since this tractor will probably be converted back to 6 volt pony start sometime in the future? I will gladly put a $60 switch on it, but the $140 switch seems steep for something I might not use long. Thanks.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES or NO: will you be using the lights before converting back to the 6 volt battery?

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was your 70 conversion done using the 24 volt system of the 730? Heavy duty 12 volt starters became available quite some time after the 24 volt 730s came out and conversions from 24 to 12 volts were done. If yours is a 12 volt system now, it MAY make a difference which light switch you need.

andy r
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys it is the 730 24 volt system that has been added.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 730 electric start light switch for JD 70 conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Andy R wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:59:52 05/14/20) Guys it is the 730 24 volt system that has been added.

If this doesn't need to be "original" and you want to keep the cost LOW, just use one or two DPST toggle switches, could use one for each group of lights.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters