Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 301A Brake failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnleslie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: JD 301A Brake failure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a JD 301A industrial tractor and the brakes completely went out. Pedals went to the floor.
The pistons on the brake valve body are stuck in.
Did the bleeding procedure as the manuals prescribed, but nothing
I am understanding that brake oil is derived from the main hydraulic system and is not isolated to its own.
I cant see where the oil comes in. Is it coming in from the valve body next to the brakes (reverser and clutch)
Seems with both pistons stuck in, there is an issue with the fluid coming in to the brake system. Am I sniffing up the right tree here?

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 301A Brake failure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil the brakes use is return oil from other functions, and being the low spot in the system the valve collects a lot of sediment. I've fixed quite a few with just cleaning the valve housing out. There are two plugs on top, two check valves internally under the first plugs you remove and then the lower plugs. Once the valve gets dirty enough the check valves don't shut allowing the brakes not to work. This in done on the machine, you don't have to remove the valve.

Johnleslie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 301A Brake failure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. Seemed like it was something upstream from the check valves as both of them stuck. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: JD 301A Brake failure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With no restriction, the plungers traveled to far and got stuck.

Roy Suomi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 301A Brake failure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On top of the brake valve where pedals are, there is a shallow , large steel plug on the top of the reservoir. Take the plug out and look inside the reservoir for oil level.. Should be nearly full. I've had to use a chisel to tap the plug loose upon occasion. fill if low and bleed the brakes. It should work now.. However , there is a reason the brake valve isn't filling by itself. There is a very small hole that fills the valve from the reverser. Might be plugged..

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters