Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DISK, education?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good day, happy to be here, been awhile. I have a 47 B fresh bore 90 over, 29 HP. on dyno. I need a disk, wanted to ask if a 8ft. should work? Need to know, differences in the John Deere KBA 8ft. VS the John Deere RWA 8ft. OR what do most folks recommend, as I am out of work, a fair value disk is what I am trying to look for. Thanks for any and all input; Bob63

cornerpost
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RWA a good disk. Normally I would caution against pulling a
disk too deep or too fast. Will not be an issue with the B.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob
Welcome to YT
I never liked a JD RWA disk harrow. Due to the fact that the disk gang angles can't be adjusted the RWA has a history for ridging the soil. A KBA is a nice light duty disk harrow. My JD BO pulls my 6' KBA very well so I think your '47 B should handle a 8' light duty disk harrow just fine.

Location of implement has a large bearing on implement value but I gave $300 for my pull type KBA.

Bob63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will focus on KBA, I am in south central Pa. Having a rollback service ready, is another part of the puzzle.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another older JD disk model you could consider is AW if you can locate one that is small enough for your tractor.

TDJD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run only John Deere Eqimpment on my farm. That being said I think
that the KBA disc is the worst disc John Deere ever made. I have
used one for 3 years 400 acres or so. The main problem is it really
hills up the dirt. Also the frame is poorly designed, so it has a
tendency to brake. I worked on an RWA once, that looks like a really
good disc. I?m looking for one now.

David.DeHart
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DISK, education? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I either have a 10' or 12' RWA disc. I'll have to go back and remeasure it, not sure at the moment. I like its construction, however mine does ridge also. In the full down position it is a load for my 1950 G. I would rather have an 8' model. I have never used a KBA, but it's construction looks a little hokey to me. The gangs are held on by chains at the end of the lift tube. Maybe this gives it a little more floating capability and adjustability, but I don't know. A little story about my RWA. When I bought it the previous owner loaded it on my trailer sideways with his excavator. I had two foot or more of tongue hanging off one side and another foot or more of disc hanging off the back. Pretty nervous haul going home. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the pin to remove the tongue for trailer transport. When I looked at the disc I never saw that pin and the previous owner never said anything about it either. I don't know why I couldn't see it earlier, but it would have made for a much safer hall home. Oh, one more thing. I clipped the corner of the guys barn with the disc when I went to leave. I did stop and point it out to him, but I still feel bad about it to this day.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters