Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am making a 4020 canopy and have noticed that Deere 4020 canopy has holes to mount fenders. But they are not centered above the axle mounting holes (like they would have been on fenders stand), but rather offset 3 inches to the rear.
I cannot see this going very well, because the fender would be too far back and tractor will look ugly.
So I am seriously thinking about skeeping those hole.
What do you think?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am surprised, in that I never noticed that. I put an OEM "roll-gard" on my 2520. I was annoyed that when I mounted the fenders to the roll-gard, I had no choice for height, as I had before. I didn't notice the fore/aft discrepancy.

I would think with your self-construction, you would be able to compromise/improvise- move holes, even if you only end up using three bolts on fender- or even incorporating the original fender stands in your design?

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bob Bancroft wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:43:26 03/26/20) I am surprised, in that I never noticed that. I put an OEM "roll-gard" on my 2520. I was annoyed that when I mounted the fenders to the roll-gard, I had no choice for height, as I had before. I didn't notice the fore/aft discrepancy.

I would think with your self-construction, you would be able to compromise/improvise- move holes, even if you only end up using three bolts on fender- or even incorporating the original fender stands in your design?

[img]https://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?id=4155504763&wid=4326159703&rwl=False&p=&ext=&w=639&h=480&t=&lp=TH&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=cGyX446ED%2bEyA8XmmA%2bo4PVLUBkOy4p0eukAz6JAVC8%3d[/img]

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying again:

Now you can see better the fore / oft offset. Putting only 3 holes will allow to move the fender forward, but keeping the fender stand is even simpler. I am making the ROPS and canopy exactly like the John Deere one (except metric bolts because I am back to France...)

Dan in North Houston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 4020 roll guard does not have any holes like that.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on where the tractor wheels are set. On my 2520, with the wheels set in as tight as possible, for 30" row crop work, there's no room in there for the original fender mounts.

Fordy20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fenders aren?t mounted to roll gard on mine.

D-
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably moving the fenders back allows easier movement
on and off tractor.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dan,I have had several and also taken off many Stolper and Hinsen cabs and all the factory Roll-Gard I have seen had the existing holes.Some of the after market ones are hard to tell difference except holes.

newgenjdcollector
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done it both ways. Mounting to the axle is a little easier for me but there are a couple little quirky issues if you have if you want the fenders in tight. One you have turn the foot on the bracket outward toward the tire. next you have the bolt heads of the fenders that will rub on the side of the roll bar, which keeps the fender pushed out. So I ended up grinding the heads almost flat and that helps a lot. Mounting to the bar does put the fender back about 3". I did that on the last tractor I restored and it seemed fine. It had 38" rubber. One benefit of doing so is that it gives you a tiny bit more room for getting on and off. I suppose a guy could make an adapter bracket that would mount to bar and push the fender forward where it normally would be. I have actually had that though before.

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for advices. The fenders on my 4020 are mounted on 2 inch tall spacers to allow for more clearance under 18.4_38 tires. Maybe I should make the canopy so it accommodate for that and the rear offset.

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting fenders to Deere canopy issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found better pictures to illustrate the problem. I have decided to make the canopy without fender mounts. Those would have weaken the canopy structures anyway in case of Rollover.

Other case, this is quite the Frankenstein tractor!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters