Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

50 series steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnboynotbilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few months back my Uncle Bill and I were pulling off my 50 to get it started. I ran into the back of the G after the 50 cranked up and it smashed the wheels all the way to right real hard. I was glad I didn't have my thumbs inside the steering wheel. Every since then, it has been real.hard to turn it back to the left. Turns to the right okay though. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong, what to check?

Paul_IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may have damaged one of the bearings on each end of the
steering shaft gear when the wheels jammed to full lock. The other
bearing is still okay and able to take the thrust load when you steer
left.

Johnboynotbilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense. I'll check that tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

deeretails
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Manual or power steering?

Johnboynotbilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Manual.

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think when you smashed in the nose it
moved the steering valve adjustment back
slightly. You need to recenter the
steering valve.

Johnboynotbilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ET wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:12:27 06/01/20) I think when you smashed in the nose it
moved the steering valve adjustment back
slightly. You need to recenter the
steering valve.

Which valve are you referring to?

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's on the right side of the worm gear
housing. It has 2 steel lines going down
to the rotary cylinder and a rubber
pressure line feeding it.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

His 50 has manual steering. No power steering lines there.

Johnboynotbilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 50 series steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correct, it has manual steering. I replaced the rear worm gear bearing yesterday and it did not improve at all. Does anyone know if someone offers a steering pedestal rebuild kit?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters