Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sweet Corn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slifnom
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tried sweet corn planting several years, but when the corn seems right the coon also think it is time! They always beat me to it. How do I discourage them? or?

Cowboy2005
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could buy a coon hound, or try trapping them. Just a thought.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

couple strings of electric fence

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DP coon traps work great for me.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put an electric fence around the sweet corn. I have also used fly bait in about half a small bowl coil. Drops them where they stand.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One strand of e wire at 5 inch height, another at 12 inches mow and weed eat all weeds ownd first and apply roundup before you string the wire.
Or flybait and pepsi in a flat tray.

Dave F. 54
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's fly bait ? Thanks Dave F.

Tom in Mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put small pans of a tablespoon of flybait and Coke or Pepsi and they will be piled up. Then you just have to do something with the dead coons.
Electric fence will work too.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's been a problem since the beginning of time.

WW2N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok here is your answer. Get 2 ripe road kill coons drag the cadavers around your corn plot in low slow gear then leave one coon at each end. Heat and moisture will keep the aroma going. Repeat as needed.

bcny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wire mesh fence with hot electric wire near the ground and another near the top.
I have seen groundhogs run right through normal 5 string electric fences. The fence chargers are pulsed, not constant live charge. Most of the time it is off. They learn to run through. Yes use the roundup to
keep the weeds from dragging down you charger.
That stops the raccoons and groundhogs. It needs to be 7ft tall to keep the deer out.

When the deer get a liking for corn they bite off the tips of the ears, like 3". Just as
much damage at the coons.

Then there is aerial attack, the geese can still fly in and chew up the young corn when 3-4".

So you end up with a $700 fence... I made mine big enough so I can work with the tractor in there.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like others said electric fence but the first night you put it up you need to be close by and listen to them squel.

Ron W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dead rotting coins do work well. I put them up on posts so that my dogs don't get into them.

If you have a small garden, dump your cat poop around it. The smell of a predator chases away all kinds of critters, even deer.

C.Amick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I catch them in live traps using cat food for bait, and then shoot and release. Probably should do it now before the problem starts.

jal-SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure you use a 110 volt weed chopper & make sure it's plugged in at all times.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters