Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Seafoam and plugs for tweety....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulled the plugs and added a can of Seafoam each cylinder. (4 cans) Then I finally drained the oil that came out near new.
I pulled the engine through with the fan blade and #1 and #2 cylinders splurged out the plug holes. I then got tired of pulling
the engine through in gear (oops) blocked the rear tire and continued. #3 and #4 did not splurge. Where did the juice go?
Now I need to go back to town, get another two cans and do 3# and #4 again. Drain plug is out and if the cans pour straight
through. . . holes in pistons?
Oh yeah. I also remembered the updraft carb while the Seafoam came out the inlet...
i so smurt.
Plugs looked decent upon removal.
The wife has gone to town to pick up a new 6V battery. This sucker better not be toast.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 and 4 probably went out the exhaust.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tweety is a Harry Ferguson. Overhead valves. Does sound bad, what does compression check show? Plugs look like normal did with leaded gas. Not black like today.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shaun; Tweety is an 8N that Bruce bought a couple of weeks ago.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Tweety" got it's name from ArleninOR. It is an 8N.
The Fergy TO-20 came home a few days ago and will get parted out after I pull the front weights. Two tractors in 10 days and I have to make something happen soon enough to smooth the ruffled feathers of "She who must be Obeyed."
Well dear, I did get the Demonstrator working again... temporarily...sorta.
12 tractors now? Whose counting? I am hoping to keep 4 or 5. Eventually.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did pay much attension so I guess that why I lost out.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tweety supposedly has been sitting for 20 years. I figured Seafoam might just juice things up before spinning it over under power.
Tomorrow will be fill with oil, install new filter, 12V on the starter and blow out the cylinders. After that will be a comp check with 12V and then install the new 6V batt and see about spark. Probably right after filing the points. I will first fire it on ether before having to pull the gas tank off and clean out the black lagoon inside the tank.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of seafoam are you using. I'm working on a 8n and all the cylinders are low with the worsted being 40psi. I put pb blaster in it first then I let it soak in paint thinner and atf overnight. Today it was up to 50 psi. I may have used something else but that's what I had on hand. Put a little more mix in it tonight and will let it sit another 24 hours probably.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seafoam Gas and oil treatment. Pours like water. My figuring was to get into the valves and rings, free up and a light case of lube.
Later today will be hook 12V to the starter and give it a spin to blow it all out, compression check, install new plugs, new battery, file
points, a shot of ether and see if it woofs. I figure anything over 60 PSI should start on 12V. I imagine might not start with 6V on 60 PSI.
The comp check will just be to see if I have a very low cyl and not so much how high is it.
Starts, runs and does not smoke like a banshee is my goal.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would be interesting to know compression prior. Hooking to 12v is a interesting idea. I was think of towing mine. Probably soak it a few more days. I should take the carb apart but I'm pretty sure it's always had good gas and it was dripping some out the intake however I dont know if it has enough vacuum to pull it in the top end. My compression is slowly coming up. Maybe in a few days it will be up to spec.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce, You say Later today will be hook 12V to the starter and give it a spin to blow it all out, compression check.

I wouldn't spin it over yet not before rolling it over by hand at least 2 or more full turns to avoid bending valve stems on stuck valves.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did that yesterday. After I replace a bad injector on my (everything new) early '94 7.3 idi turbo F350 crewcab dually, I will put the 12V
to the tweety engine.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hope so. . .

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil the cylinders and see what numbers you get. Oil being a slightly better sealant. At 60 PSI, I would fire it off, get to temp and recheck
comp. It might be all you need to get the rings to come back to life.
Ask me how I know that one. . . After I collapsed a set of rings. . .

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seafoam and plugs for tweety.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might check it later today or tomorrow. It's a few miles away. I'm hoping I can get it started and that will finish freeing them up. I have one cylinder at 95 so I'm surprised it didn't pop a little. It may not have had compression before I lived it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters