Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Disc mowers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4010 puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guys I’m in ohio here and sold my old 7 foot haybine, I’m in the market for 7-9 foot disc mower. I see lots of them for sale but wonder about parts availability? I’ve heard the old long/farm trac can be iffy on parts. What about pellgro, fort farm Maxx, enrossi, etc. I’d like to be able to get parts for years to come and not just a cheap throw away mower.
Thanks

danofarming
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a Kuhn. All of the rest are copies.

Jon Erickson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a Kuhn. I agree.

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Enorossi makes mowers for Farm King (Buhler-Allied)

Sitrex makes mowers for New Holland.

Most of these are large Italian companies with US importers /re branding.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doesn’t one company make a 3 blade turtle.

One makes separate segments that bolt together under each turtle and driven by shafts.

One company makes a large common oil pan under the whole cutters and gear drives the turtles from one common pan.

The various companies buy from these three, and relabel the machines as ‘theirs’.

I think NH and NI/Agco swapped manufacturers a while back, it’s pretty funny listening to the dealers promoting their design as better, when a few years before the other design was better when that is what they sold then.....

Brown Swiss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Krone is the best I've seen so far! My two cents!

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kubota has three blades, they bought Vicon so that's likely where they got it.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look into drum mowers.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got a Vermeer TM800 it's been a really good machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtrB0m3up6M

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-danofarming wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:33:40 06/02/20) Get a Kuhn. All of the rest are copies.

If disc mowers are all ""copies of Kuhn"" as you state please explain this?

Kuhn/JD/Krone/Kubota cutter bar internally where gears are located is a common housing IE open for oil to flow from one end to other end of cutter bar & cutter bar oil level is checked at one location.

New Holland & Vermeer plus probably some other cutters have individual segments on cutter bar that require oil(lubricant) to be checked at each segment.
Thanks,Jim

SHALER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4010, I will try to read between the lines as you omitted maybe the most important part of your question - and that is what is your budget? I will try to read between the lines. You got rid of your old 7 foot haybine. From that comment and the fact that you mention a lot of off brand machines, I have to conclude your budget is not all that high. I dont see you writing a check for a good Krone, Vermeer, or Kuhn disc mower as other posters have mentioned. Watch out for a New Idea disc mower, they are reasonable and parts are available.

4010 puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea I may consider a good used one but 10-12,000 for a nh Vermeer or Kuhn won’t be happening, I mow 30 acres of hay a year. There’s just so many brands of mowers out there anymore it’s hard to decide good or bad but my main concern is parts availability on the cheaper ones.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another consideration when using a disc mower is that it gives you the capability to get double the amount of hay rained on as you ever have before.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc mowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am on my second drum. Bought because every used disc had brazed cracks all over the bottom with oil leaking out and too many parts. Cuts grasses great, leaving about a 1" stubble on tough stalks and 2" on small stemmed grasses which is ok for them.

Swore I'd never do it again, but bought a haybine (Ford 538) this year to do my SS hay crop. Need 4" stubble for a decent regrowth and no disc or drum I've seen can give you that. Did the first cutting last week and regrowth is fantastic, as was the cut.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters