Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Speaking of apostrophe''s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich'sToys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Speaking of apostrophe''s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This site still seems to be having trouble with them. I've noticed that whenever there is a word which has one, like can't, or won't, or 2 o'clock, that the apostrophe is replaced with some weird looking symbols. At least it is on modern view. I haven't checked the other one.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of apostrophe''''s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now on this post it didn't do it. But just about everything else I read today had it. Did it get fixed?

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of apostrophe''''s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is because the poster used a phone with a browser that generates something called UNICODE. They aren't what is called ASCII, which is the original set of characters we associate with what is on the keyboard. In other words, those are not ', ", etc, they are a multi-character representation of ', " and other characters we don't have on the keyboard. It allows things like the symbols in east asian languages, the unusual characters that appear in languages other than English, but for a fact, really just let people have smiley faces on their text messages.

If a person using a phone configured with this more extended character set posts on Classic view, classic does not store characters in a way that those values can be remembered correctly, and they end up being gibberish. Modern kind of handles them, but even if the post is made there instead, by the time it gets to classic, it will be messed up. Just this weekend, I made a change to where now on Modern view, you can't enter them. If you were to post a message using a phone configured that way, it will just wholesale delete all of those special characters out of your subject and message. The end result will be this,

They post
I'm making a "test" sentence up here.
but what goes in is
Im making a test sentence up here.

This was the best I could do to stop it at least from the modern side. I have tried to do something similar on the classic side, but failed in every attempt so far. It does concern me that we may never be able to support modern devices with extended character sets on classic, so ruining the punctuation on people's posts may be the only solution.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of apostrophe''''''''s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious as to what was happening. Your explanation cleared that up. Sure makes for some strange reading though!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters