Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanna Belle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd like to put a temp gauge on my 1952 8N. Are these available? How difficult to install? Thanks

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vanna Belle wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:13:56 06/13/20) I'd like to put a temp gauge on my 1952 8N. Are these available? How difficult to install? Thanks
Fine for 68 years without.....why now?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vanna Belle wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:13:56 06/13/20) I'd like to put a temp gauge on my 1952 8N. Are these available? How difficult to install? Thanks

Readily available. Drill and tap boss on side of cylinder head for sender. Not cifficult for me but YMMV.

TOH

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did same, very easy.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's your tractor and your $$$ so do what you want. I'd agree the 9N, 2N, 8N never had had a production run of temp gauges, and no need to install one now. The exception was for the NAN models only. At one time Ford was going to add one -look at the LH front top side of the cylinder head and some late models had the cast boss where the sensor was going to be mounted. MPC's show the 39-47 dash panel with the NAN Temp Gauge cutout shown. Read Bruce(VA)'s article in the N-News on radiators, coolant, and thermostats. Most overheating issues are due to overfilling or underfilling the coolant level in the radiator. Always use a thermostat in the upper hose. Yes, the temperature gauge was used on the 9NAN; 2NAN; and 8NAN tractors only. The TEMPERATURE GAUGE was fitted on the RH lower dash panel, at the 5 O'Clock position below the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE. The original drawing for the dash shows the hole location cutout with: "NOTE - TO MAKE 9N-AN AND 2N-AN ADD THIS HOLE". The original drawing for the gauge faceplate, 9NAN-10888, shows: "WARNING: ONLY USE HEAVY FUEL WHEN NEEDLE IS ON THE GREEN". These drawings show the temp gauge was released in July, 1941 on the TVO/Kerosene burning NAN models only. WE have the 9NAN Manual and the 8NAN Manual in our library. The -AN models used a special manifold and the vaporizer unit. The -AN models were almost all exported to the UK, Europe, and Australia.

FORD 39-47 STEERING & DASH WITH NAN TEMP GAUGE:

Tim Daley(MI)

Vanna Belle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! Great information. What is the best level for coolant?

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fill to just cover the core.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8N coolant capacity is 12 quarts but you knew that by your Essential Manuals. Like Jim said, fill to top of core. Overfilling (and under is #1 overheating issue) and use a thermostat.

THE N-NEWS – WINTER 2020 ISSUE:

BRUCE HAYNES – COOLING ARTICLE:

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

Vanna Belle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

vanna, i got a 2N about 10 years ago. one of the first things i noticed was the sound of boiling from the engine when i shut it off. this caused me to install a temperature gauge.

in lieu of drilling and tapping the head for a sender, u can get an inexpensive (less than $10) adapter that goes into the upper radiator hose, and lets u screw in the temperature sender there.

what i learned was that my N was not overheating at all. the boiling sound is from coolant in the head once it stops circulating.

Gantt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Gauge for Ford 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

while it is not needed, i like knowing what my machine is doing.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters