Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Unsure of Sherman under over

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Fred
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We bought an early 8n with a seized motor. Have a good running engine along with new clutch ready to go. How to tell if the Sherman is good? Before we split tractor it seemed like a key it was not n gear as it should, but probably should've taken more notice if there was any difference rolling by hand high vs low?
Never seen one before, and the shift seems short and not like high low on my 3600.

DMartin9N-2N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good afternoon: I will offer an opinion, hope you don't mind. If you are unsure about the Sherman, you might be better off assembling the tractor as a normal one without the Sherman. you could keep the special parts along with the Sherman as a sort of kit to sell after you make any needed repairs to the Sherman itself.

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one that the sifter was rusted up,I jacked up one rear wheel and then I could rock it to see
if I was shifting the Sherman or not. I could not tell what gear I was in, but I could tell that it
was in gear.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Sherman is not even close to being the
same as the hi/lo your 3600.
Sherman is on the input end of the
transmission and affects everything
behind it including your pto speed.
The Hi/Lo on your 3600 is in the output
end of the transmission and only affects
your ground speed. It has nothing to do
with the pto at all.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check to see which one you have and how to shift it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukqkUicNF0

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Unsure of Sherman under over Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your going to split the tractor why not pull the sherman open it up check condition and replace input shaft seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68fmzCkWtU

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters