Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2940 steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am having a steering issue with my 2940. The steering is harder to turn then normal, I am assuming emergency steering. 3pt, pto, hi/lo, remotes and brakes all function normally.

I will also add that it started making a chattering noise like a hydraulic line vibrating on the right side. Only did it at higher rpm 1500 and above. I changed hyd filter, steering filter, cleaned screen and put in new fluid today. Screen and filter looked ok. The chattering noise is now intermittent, but steering issue still exist. No change with pto on or off and no change in hi or lo.

Any ideas on the issue? Could it be steering motor/valve?

dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have any recommendations?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to YT
According to JD parts 2940 has hydrostatic steering & either has 1 or 2 steering cylinders but has no steering motor. My guess is steering cylinder piston seal is leaking internally. Has both steering knee swivel areas been greased regularly?

dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor has 2 steering cylinders and has been greased.

dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim I assume you are meaning one of the 2 front steering cylinders may be leaking. My tractor is a 1982 model so the last year for the 2940. It has the orbital valve under the steering wheel with the 4 hoses left, right, pressure and return. Is there anyway to test the valve? Has anybody here used the Midwest steering valve its about 1/2 the price of the eaton.

dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there anyway to test the steering cylinders for internal leakage?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If dual cylinders are the problem they should leak oil out the seals at the end of the barrel. Due to the fact your tractor has dual cylinder steering I think steering controller is at fault which I have no experience with. I'll suggest to acquire/study a 2940 tech manual.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Front pump shaft spline or the coupling splines have been known to wear and fail .

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:37:33 07/02/20)
Front pump shaft spline or the coupling splines have been known to wear and fail .

b&d
You must have overlooked this part of dwamsley's post.

3pt, pto, hi/lo, remotes and brakes all function normally.

dwamsley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. After reviewing the description and operations of the hydraulics in the manual I am going to looking to the steering valve as the possible culprit. It seems if I had a hydraulic pump issue fluid pressure would be to low to go past the priority valve and 3pt/remotes wouldn't work. I assume a steering valve issue could hurt flow enough to cause a chatter. I have some gauges on the way to check pressures. I will report back what I get figured out.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters