Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 8n with forge blower

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dtreadinger89
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried to put a hand crank forge blower on a
for n series? Run it off the belt or crank and Pipe it Into the
updraft carb to give the engine boost like a supercharger? I
understand the stock flatheads could handle around 6-7 psi,
but the rpms might be a bit much for the blower to handle
maybe underdrive it to 25% or so with pullies. Would the
updraft carb still work with air being forced through it, just a
thought to pass around.....

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dtreadinger89 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:26:53 06/23/20) Has anyone ever tried to put a hand crank forge blower on a
for n series? Run it off the belt or crank and Pipe it Into the
updraft carb to give the engine boost like a supercharger? I
understand the stock flatheads could handle around 6-7 psi,
but the rpms might be a bit much for the blower to handle
maybe underdrive it to 25% or so with pullies. Would the
updraft carb still work with air being forced through it, just a
thought to pass around.....

I understand it's just a thought, but what would be the point of doing all that to such an old tractor? Just put your money into a better tractor. Those kind of thoughts are for people with more money than brains. Understand I'm not talking about you since you stated it's just a thought.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now deceased Forum denizen often suggested using a smog pump for a automotive V8 as a "blower" for an "N".

I don't recall anyone ever posting about trying one, though.

DMartin9N-2N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning: If you are just wanting to experiment, I will offer this: In 1954 The Kaiser auto was offered equipped with a McCullough supercharger from the factory. The supercharger was belt driven, and its' output (air) was ducted to a box that surrounded the carburetor. In that way, the carburetor did not have leakage problems, nor problems with float bowl system. It might be possible to supercharge the 8n, but more as a hobby, not a real payoff, in my humble opinion.

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, I left out the name, "Dell" was the smog pump advocate.

Dtreadinger89
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I once saw a pickup truck at the rough and tumble tractor
show In Lancaster pa that some farm kids hooked a forge
blower to the intake on the passenger side Door post, not
sure if it was a for but definitely in the the 20-30s, Kinda a rat
rod but intriguing in design, the passenger kid cranked like
hell on that blower, I guess it gave power to the motor or he
wouldn’t of been doing it, I just wanted to see if it was
plausible. Would be pretty cool to see a champion blower
sticking out the side pushin air into the old 8n.

Elmo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 16:51:19 06/23/20) I once saw a pickup truck at the rough and tumble tractor
wouldn t of been doing it, I just wanted to see if it was

My opinion is that it is an exercise in futility. I fully understand why you would might try it though!

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Elmo wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:21:19 06/23/20)
(quoted from post at 16:51:19 06/23/20) I once saw a pickup truck at the rough and tumble tractor
wouldn t of been doing it, I just wanted to see if it was

My opinion is that it is an exercise in futility. I fully understand why you would might try it though!

Yup! You never know though when some guy has an itch to try something, what he might come up with. What's that old saying about "Necessity being the mother of invention"?

I guess sometimes just "wondering if it would work" is enough to take the place of necessity.

Gaspump
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1957 T'bird also had a similar supercharger option.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Gaspump wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:11:10 06/23/20) 1957 T'bird also had a similar supercharger option.
Some things are simply something to flap gums about. Need more power, buy a more powerful tractor.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:36:12 06/23/20)
CVPost-Gaspump wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:11:10 06/23/20) 1957 T'bird also had a similar supercharger option.
Some things are simply something to flap gums about. Need more power, buy a more powerful tractor.

I have a hunch you are not related to Tim Taylor. :wink:

Dtreadinger89
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly more power ugh ugh ugh!

Dtreadinger89
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who’s also to say you couldn’t put a forge blower on a flathead v8 either? Imagine the possibilities. Forge blowers are fraction the price just have to figure out mounting and compression, could slap an air filter on the inlet hole and pipe it into the carb kinda like a procharger

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Just put your money into a better
tractor."

This is the best piece of advice in this
whole thread.

HarryVanderpool
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8n with forge blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With my 2N & 8N I have always felt that the cooling system just barely keeps up in hot weather as it is.
More power usually means more heat as well.
How are we going to deal with that?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters