Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4240 Jd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce SEKs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: 4240 Jd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My charging system on my 4240 is not working right. Amp meter shows overcharge and then neutral charge then stops working. I have changed the alternator twice and still having the same problem..I ran the batteries dead. I hooked a wire straight from the alternator to one of the batteries and the system worked for awhile at least kept the AC working. It acts like a wire is broken. This morning though the system charged for awhile and quit. Is there a regulator or something in the system that quits working after a short time? I really know very little about electric

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4240 Jd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was problems with the small wire coming from the cab to the two wire plug of the alternator. Deere made a kit to fix the problem. See what the wire looks like and check for 12 volts. I am thinking it was a resistor wire.

FWB in SK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 4240 Jd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes the wire is broke on the curve in the wire close to the alternator.What mathies wrote fixed neghbors same problem.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 4240 Jd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-matthies wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:03:06 06/26/20) There was problems with the small wire coming from the cab to the two wire plug of the alternator. Deere made a kit to fix the problem. See what the wire looks like and check for 12 volts. I am thinking it was a resistor wire.

The original setup was a single strand of resistance (Nichrome) wire, very brittle stuff and it would break inside the insulation causing the alternator not to "excite" and begin to charge.

DEERE's "fix"was a $$$ separate little harness with a diode plugged into it, AR90840 @ some $60.

You can do the same thing with a $0.50 diode (1N5408 or similar) and a few feet of 16GA wire.

Note the resistance wire from Terminal 1 on the alternator to "3" in the bulkhead connector, that's the wire that fatigues and breaks.

The complete length, from the terminal in the bulkhead connector to the #1 terminal on the alternator can be replaced with a length of #16 automotive wire with a diode spliced into it.

The end of the diode with the white band is the cathode and goes towards the alternator.

This is the same thing the $$$ DEERE replacement harness does.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters