Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

help on ford 8n

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Singleton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

used my 8n saturday for a good bit, had my harrows on it and lift worked great. went out today and was going to do some things with it, ran it about 30 minutes or so and the lift quit working all of a sudden, took harrows off and it will work but very slow with nothing on it any ideas where for me to start finding whats wrong thanks

RustyOld8N
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid level up to snuff?

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the right side round dipstick plate and work the lever. See if you can see any fluid leaking down from the cylinder on the top cover.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Caryc said, plus with the tractor shut off, watch or reach down and feel if the intake and exhaust valves are moving in and out with the control lever.

Gary Singleton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it is what do i do then ?

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gary singleton wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:02:05 07/08/20) if it is what do i do then ?

If you've got a leak coming down from the top cylinder, you're definitely going to have to pull that top cover off to repair it.

HarryVanderpool
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gary, If this is the first time pulling the lift assy off of an 8N, BE CAREFULL!
You will need to lift it straight up a couple of feet being careful NOT to bump or bang anything and then have a workbench or saw horses to flip it over and set it upside-down upon.
Helpful to have a 2nd set of eyes the first time.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gary singleton wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:02:05 07/08/20) if it is what do i do then ?

That top cover is very heavy. You really should have another strong person to help you with it. When I removed mine, I removed the seat pan and left the spring on the cover. This gave us a handle to lift it with and as you can see in the pic below, you can clamp the whole thing to a corner of a table or bench for easy access to work on it. Good luck.

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good idea leaving the spring on. I used an engine hoist to lift mine but had my wife help lower it back in place while I guided the control arm, I trusted my wife to lower it slowly.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-flembo wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:05:35 07/09/20) Good idea leaving the spring on. I used an engine hoist to lift mine but had my wife help lower it back in place while I guided the control arm, I trusted my wife to lower it slowly.

If you've got two guys to lower it while you guide the control arm, you can also clamp a two foot piece of 2 X 4 crosswise on that seat spring. That makes a great handle.

Gary Singleton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: help on ford 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE Picture

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters