Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Adjustable Ball Mount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to get a heavier ball mount for my equipment trailer. The 6K one I have is fine for my little Kubota, but my farm tractors weigh about 6K themselves. I like the idea of adjustable mounts that have a lot more flexibility - I also tow a boat with a 2" ball. But the options are endless, tough to figure out what is made overseas and what is made here. I don't want to shop price and get overseas junk. Any recommendations? I would like to be in the 150-200 range.

Thanks,
Tim

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you looking for a brand of hitch?

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, not necessarily. I was looking at Curt and also a Fastway one looked pretty good.
Tim

amtrac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have no financial interest in this recommendation, but I have one and really like it. Everything locks up to keep the sticky fingers from walkin off with it. Gives you an accurate tongue weight and interchangeable balls.(HA!) Price is a little bit more than your range, but well worth it. Made in USA too.
Weight Safe Hitch

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks!

Pete in Holland MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just be aware that the farther you get away from the line-of-pull on your receiver hitch, the more twisting action you put on it, especially with a heavy trailer in tow. Camping a lot, have seen several trucks & motor homes with heavy trailers, and highly off-set drawbars even twisting idling thru the campground !

Just saying.......

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the first thing to determine is the rating of the receiver bracket---then the ball hitch rating

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I got my 7700 lb trailer years ago the owner of the dealership told me that the drawbar needed to be solid square stock as opposed to tubing like the lighter hitch draw bars.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes my solid drawbar has 10,000 lbs stamped on it

Randy-IA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second this highly! I've witnessed trucks with 5,000lb frame mounted Wally world universal mount receiver hitches pulling 10,000lb trailers. Not all hitches are the same obviously. But I've also witnessed bumper mounted balls pulling estimated 5,000-7,000lb car trailers with tractors on them...maybe they were rated at that? I wouldn't want to be driving near them!

As a long time construction truck driver, both semi and pickup, I believe there is never enough overkill in the hitch area.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Truck is rated for 10K towing. Since the trailer has an adjustable height hitch, I might just go with the straight solid hitch - about $60 at TSC and rated for 10K on the 2 5/16 ball. Would work OK for the boat, or I could stick in the 2" drop shank I have used for years.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like the adjustable ones because of all the slop in the system. If you can adjust them by removing a couple of pins, there is going to be slop, and your trailer is going to be banging and slamming around behind you with every start, stop, and turn.

Each of my trailers ended up with a dedicated shank with the correct ball size and drop.

ditchwitch
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are the only other person that understands that those "pretty novelty hitches are junk.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Convinced me - will buy a straight hitch, solid shank if I can find one. Hopefully with the 2 5/16 ball in the middle.

ditchwitch
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Ball Mount Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Tim, The one i have is solid Steal its not the hollow 2 x 2 hitch. Heavy and you can get them with different inches of drop. Another plus is the size of the shank on the ball. Tractor Supply has them for $60 bucks 16k lbs. with a 1 1/4 hitch ball hole. Its well worth it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters