Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

chopped hay for horses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gobind

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When we put hay outdoors in those racks with the tub underneath our horses drag alot of it onto the ground and trample much of it into the dirt/mud and then of course do not eat it. When we put hay into a trough they drag all of it onto the ground. I hate to see all that good hay go to waste! Been thinking about chopping the hay so that the beasties don't have to shake it to get the "properly" sized mouthful. Anyone have any experience feeding chopped hay to horses? What was your experience and what equipment did you use? Thanks.

MyrlfromPA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off salt your hay when you put it away and second never never feed hay to horses above ground level. build a hayrack against the fence that is about two feet tall with room for them to throw it around a little. That will pretty much solve your problem.

Larry NE IL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I feed my horses mostly alfalfa, and feed in tubs. If I feed them too much they throw a lot out and I believe they are shaking to get the leaves on the bottom of the tub.
You might try cutting back their quantity some and they will eat more of what you put out.

Mulesandheelers

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The least amount of waste I've found is to feed in a clean
pasture, a single flake at least - a horse length and a half apart or futher.
A horse will high-grade it, spread it some, then come back and finish it [ifen you're not over feeding].

jwal10

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to be carful with chopped hay for horses. If it is a little dusty to start with, either dirt, or finely chopped leaves, it can cause problems with breathing when a horse inhales it. WE put most of our hay up using silage equipment. We chopped it then used blower to fill barn. We didn't feed it to working horses because when breathing hard they would develop a wheeze.I don't know of anything that would chop hay coarse enough and keep leaves intact for feeding.

Sid

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why salt hay to keep horses from wasting it?

hayray

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a friend that has a round baler with slicers on it and it makes real small pieces that the animals cows and horses eat better. One thing is that those racks cause a lot of waste on the ground, it is better to feed on the ground in a round bale feeder and feed less hay at a time will also help. I don't see why you could not feed chopped hay, the dehydrated hay cubes are choppedd hay and that works real well on horses, just make sure during the process that ou don't loose the leaves.

MyrlfromPA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The salt is a preservitive and keeps the hay fresher and they dont seem to pick through it as much. It also draws out all the moisture and moisture is what causes dust. Also dont you like a little salt on your food?

Rexalot

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, what kind of salt are you using and where are you finding it in bulk.

I just keep picturing standing on top of the hay rack sprinkling it out of a salt shaker....

Iowa Jim

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped hay for horses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is another old wives tale that has been shown not to work in research settings. It would be better to practice good management and put up the hay at the correct moisture OR use a proven preservative method that applies presrvative evenly to the entire crop.

Jim

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters